The Yough at Smiththon

rj32s

rj32s

Quick question for you Western PA guys.

A friend of mine's Dad fishes the Yough at Smithton, off of route 70.

Im under the impression this location isn't ideal for fly fishing and is more of a spinner / bait area...

Any input on that location? I appreciate it.

It is perfectly fine for fly fishing. A local group stocks it in the Spring and it isn't ATW, so it is open year-round. It has nice warm-water fishing in the summertime and beyond as well.

Thanks, Jack. I appreciate it :)

In fact, as I thought I recalled, you can also harvest trout year round under this special regulation:

SOMERSET / FAYETTE / WESTMORELAND / ALLEGHENY
Youghiogheny River – From the confluence with the Casselman River downstream to the confluence with Ramcat Run and Youghiogheny River from the PA Route 381 bridge at Ohiopyle downstream to the mouth of the river.

No closed season on trout.
Daily limit
— Opening day of the trout season through Labor Day – 5 trout
— the day after Labor Day through the opening day of the trout season of the following year – 3 trout.
For all other species, inland regulations apply. See All-Tackle Trophy-Trout regulations.

This said, if you want to harvest trout at Smithton or West Newton, I believe you should consider donating to one of the clubs that stocks that area. Even if you don't harvest, these clubs would appreciate your help. As a member of these clubs, you may also be entered into a contest because they also tag some fish for prizes. I don't think you need to turn the fish in, but just the tag.

I usually make the trip with my one friend every April to fish the Yough at smithton. Carry a few early season patterns and lots of buggers

Thanks, Jack - I see the Smithton Sportsmen and Conservation Association; are there other local groups?

Unfortunately it looks like all the early season stockings have been cancelled for high water.

As mentioned - a great warm water spot. Tons of smallmouths, walleyes, and white bass. Also once caught a 24" muskie.

Add good rock bass and an occasional northern pike. Might even see a warmouth.

A bunch of guys fishing today near West Newton.

The stocking by the sportsmen's club was this AM.

Oops I meant Saturday morning.

Goldeneye or Mooneye, freshwater drum, carp, and snapping turtles also abide.

Back