The SQUEEZE!

wetnet

wetnet

Joe Humphrey talks about the squeeze. I've only heard about it from my son and his interactions with Joe. Well he showed me. I worked on it with him for awhile. Then tonight I practiced by myself and if I did it as effectively as Joe my shoulder wouldn't hurt. It takes a simple well timed press of the thumb, you don't need near the effort I put into it at the beginning and it is wonderful. 10 perfect casts, under the sawhorse, dead center. :-D , Now tomorrow will be another day.

You want some more usefull help with accurate casting ? Read Lefty kreh's writing on casting , i mean this dude can cast a whole fly line with just his arm , no rod , check it out you won't be dissapointed.

I don't need to ever cast a ton of line. I'll defintely check out Lefty. The best of the best that share the tricks and hard earned lessons of their trade, why wouldn't I listen and learn. I will never be Joan Wulff. But I can sure love appreciating the gift that they have while I have one brief moment of feeling really good I didn't get tangled in trees, (their were none). while casting under a saw horse. Brillance in it best shining moment. Geeez, I can't spell or type, heck. Anyway I'm sporting a pretty good smile tonight. The squeeze or however it is explained by Joe is wonderful. Low line and accurate. If I can master it I can tuck this under low lying bushes. Pretty neat. Might help as well when it's windy. Thanks Osprey. Do you have a specific book on Lefty that you recommend? I'm all into it now. Time to get my casting respectable!

Squeeze and a tap; squeeze and a tap.

I met him at an engagement, and he taught us the same technique. It really helped me crystalize all the talk about pop-stop and actually give me a functional ability to do it with two simple ideas:

Squeeze your hand on the back cast, and press the power button on the forward cast. Makes perfect sense.

I'm having a ton of fun with it in the yard. Didn't have a great day on the stream. I get way too excited to try something new and then it's about trees, shrubs and stones. I'll keep at it. Just need some "it doesn't need to get learned in one day moment." It's always good when you get some stream time. :)

I find casting in the yard to be akin to pitching golf balls only more out of sorts as far as neighbors are concerned. I've had some strange looks from the neighbors as I laid out a 50 footer into their rose bushes.

I can still hear them mumbling...that guy needs to get a life!

Squeeze- hehe.

He's says that 50 times in one of his videos. Ha.

Another- "Keys to the Kingdom".

I love fly fishing.

The Lefty book i would look for is Modern Fly Casting , since you mentioned Joan Wulff the practice of keeping your wrist stiff is something they both talk about that helped me alot.

Oh to be like Joan....... :-D OH to be like me! :-? Still fun isn't it?

Joe's "squeeze" is all wrist, LOL. It's a specialty cast used to get a tight loop with a short casting stroke, handy for casting in and around brush or obstacles. Also a squeeze when the rod is vertical can be used in a "tuck cast" to sink your nymphs quickly. Stopping the rod at a higher than normal angle with an overpowered forward cast works okay too, not as extreme as using the squeeze, which drives the nymphs into the water and creates a lot of slack to begin the drift.

He is an articed I just Googled that explains Joe's "sqeeze" in detail:

"My favorite cast with these type of rods is what I call a "Squeeze Cast". (see Joe Humphries superb video on Casting in Tight Brush)maybe the best coverage there is on the subject. The cast is initiated with the rod tip only inches from the water. The rod tip stops either at the 1:00 position or just a little behind you on a side arm cast. The casting hand is gradually opened during the back cast, the rod tip only travels a few feet on the forward cast and the rod is controlled with the fore finger and thumb thru the first 80% of the forecast. At the end of the very short fore cast, the three lower finger quickly close on the grip with a squeeze ! The thumb is pushed slightly downward against the top of the grip. The rod is then held absolutely at a "STOPPED" position with no forward drift of the casting hand. Hold position until 90% of the cast lays out and you are ready to drop the rod tip down (from the elbow) to present the fly. This short fast "SQUEEZE" at the very end of the fore cast develops very high line speeds and results in nice tight loops with no wind knots. Also be sure to keep the rod tip moving on the same level plane during both fore and back casts."

Link to the article quoted:

http://www.lasr.net/recreationarticles.php?ID=647

Even though casting in the yard is like practicing for a Masters Tourney on a putt, putt course I've been at it again and again. Finally my son came out once more and after a few exchanges and him telling me if I kept crying I'd have to go in the house, by darn I've got it. I really have it for once I really have the timing down and I really get it. When I hit the stream tomorow I'm not going to worry about catching fish for the first time in my life. For those who don't know me. Did you ever have a dog that was so excited to do something that they cried and shook all over. I'm worse! I'm working on that too! Today was a really good day!
Beautiful tight loops. :-D

Back