The smell of Steel is in the air

JackM

JackM

Staff member
There have been reports for a week or so about the steelhead gathering at the tributary mouths in Erie. More recently some have been spotted and caught in the creeks. The word on the Fish Erie Reports Page is that a bit cooler temperatures and a good rain is all that is needed to start thing along.

I've been catching fish for 2 weeks or so in the larger streams. Fishing last weekend was okay, but some crowds where there. This past week the wasn't as many fish and the water was low and clear, but had the stream to myself. Lots of fish have been hooked and most broke off with the light tippet.

Just started a new job. One of the muckety mucks was saying that international anglers is reportting much the same. It it immoral to use flyfishing as a means of a$$kissing?

Either way I am stoked!

Yinz Guys up for a trip??? Ryanh, JackM or anyone near the burgh want to split the gas and the driving ???? I just bought myself a nice new ross reel for the 8wt.

There is an article in today's Greensburg/Pittsburgh Newspaper about the steelheading so far:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/search/s_470927.html

I took my son up Sept. 22nd. Landed the biggest fish of my life @ 10 pounds and 29 inches. I have since bought a bigger net. Just the one hook-up that day.

Dude, I can't tell which is bigger... the fish or your grin! Way to go! I'd say that one fish is all the hookups you need for one day. :lol:

That certainly is a nice one. I'm heading up tomorrow and would be satisfied with one just like it! I'm not an expert, but it looks like a male fish. having seen it close up from differing angles, would you tend to agree?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was a male. It had that longer mouth/snout look and not the pug nose of a hen.

I was rigged with a #12 beadhead halfback flash nymph and a #14 chartruese single egg trailing in a double nymph rig. This fish took the halfback. He was holding in some faster water along a seam in the shale formation. I couldn't see any fish there and I was just casting to some likely holding water.

It has been my experience that too many fishermen pass up the faster water where they can't see the fish and go straight to the obvious holes where they can see fish holding. I think the fish in the faster water lies are more likely to take a fly.

I think if all comes down to "If you can see the fish, then he can see you too".

Back