The rod that means more to me than most

pabrookie94

pabrookie94

First I would like to introduce myself; my name is Jordan and I am a student at California University of Pa. I am sure that many of you have seen me post on a few things before but today I would like to tell you about something that means a lot to myself and will hopefully soon mean a lot to the person who will be receiving it, my father.

A long time ago, or so it seems to me, I received my first fly rod for Christmas. It was a scientific anglers 5 weight rod from Walmart that I instantaneously fell in love with. I couldn't wait to get out there and try it out. Over time I slowly put more and more fish on the end of my line when one day, snap. The tip of my rod had broken off after I had just buried it into the asphalt while on my bicycle. I thought, oh no what am I gonna do! Well of course my dad had the solution, he said "use mine" until you get a new one. Well of course being about 11 I eagerly accepted because I had never seen him fly fish before. It turns out that it was not because he did not like it but because with myself and brother playing 3 different sports and driving me to work, he simply didn't have the time. Getting older now, yes I'm only 20, I have realized how much he would've loved to fish rather than stand at the fence of my practices but he never did.

Well I did use his fly rod, a lot, and then one day I broke it. I was horrified. I didn't know what I was going to do. But that rod meant merely nothing to him as he had received it as a present and it barely had left the box. He then told me stories of how much he used to fly fish and how much he loved it. For graduation I received an Orvis access combo that I treat as though it were my first born. So now it is my time to give him his back, somehow.

Well I am out of the house now and my brother will be out of the house in just a few months which means that he will have much more time to fish. I bought him an ugly stik combo for Christmas so he could fish but this definitely didn't do it for me in terms of providing him with a rod.. I broke his fly rod, so I figured that I will build him a fly rod!

Well there you have it, my rod kit came and I will be starting this project soon. I hope that I can produce a rod that means as much to him as it will to me. I will keep all of you updated as to steps in the project and how everything goes. If any of you have advice to give please do so.

We will be going on a fly fishing trip to WV for his 50th and my 21st and I will be sure to tell you guys how the rod worked. I'm sorry for the long read but it's things like this that make fly fishing what it is, not just catching fish, but giving and giving back to those who helped you out. I'll be in touch. Tight lines!

Awesome dude. Good luck with the project. My dad is still alive and I can still rectify this luckily, but I do admit I regret not fishing with him enough throughout the years.

He doesn't enjoy the same fishing I do but I should make the effort this year to at least get him out on the fish-for-free days.

Rest assured that your father was probably happier " standing at the fence" than he would have been fishing. Many of us gave it up for many years in order to enjoy our kids while they grew. Most of us came right back as soon as we could.
I didn't fish for 20 some years while my daughters played soccer and softball. I was too busy coaching their teams and never missed fishing one bit. I was having too much fun making memories.

I'm certain the rod will be put to god use. Just make sure you're there when it is.

Awesome idea man, and I'm sure your dad will truly appreciate it.

Go Vulcans,
I am a Cal State and Cal U grad. Truly enjoyed my time there. I did not fish during my time there. Took up the sport in my mid 20's. I did not fish as often when my kids were growing up. I coached football and baseball. Bought my son an Orvis outfit when he graduated from the PSP academy. First assignment was Coudersport in Potter county. We only fish a couple times a year, but enjoy every minute. With a grand daughter, most likely will be fewer trips to the stream. I fish most often alone.

Keith nailed it. There was absolutley nothing i enjoyed more then being with my daughters. It did not matter if it was at a sporting event, practice, or at home having a tea party. Fishing didn't ever enter into my mind. Quite frankly I can't understand how fishing could ever take fathers away from the kids.

With that said, I fished with my father as often as I could but not near often enough. My most cherished possessions are his old fly tying things and his fishing hat.

Great story about a great man with a great son.

Thank you so much guys for the support. I am slowly learning to grow up and appreciate what I have before it's gone. He is only 50 so I should have lots of years left but who knows if I'll live till tomorrow. I'm sure he loved standing by the fence I just always felt like he just did it to support us. I guess I'll understand that someday. As for you JMP I truly enjoy it here also. I am studying fisheries and wildlife biology and its a great field.

Great story Pab, and great idea. He will likely enjoy a rod made by you way more than a purchased rod.

I pray you both have many [d]years [/d] decades to enjoy this together.

pabrookie
Great idea - i made a few rods for my dad and i know he really enjoyed using the steelhead rod i made him.
Please keep us updated and take your time - ask us questions and just make sure everything is the way you want it BEFORE putting epoxy on the wraps.
Abook i found to be very helpful was a rodbuilding book by Art Scheck - it may be in your library at school - very practical tips.

I think that rod will mean more to him than you will ever know. He gave and introduced you to the sport.....your job is to keep him out there a few times a year for the next 20-30 years. Nice job.

Back