The Proper Attire

J

JasonC

Dedicating an entire 1 1/2 weeks to fishing in my dad's memory and I chose to explore the following waters:
Letort
Tully
Falling Springs
Big Spring
Yellow Breeches

It will be the end of June into July and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some insight as to the best gear to wear...waders versus quick-dry pants? Cold water doesn't bother me too much, so I didn't really take that into consideration unless you think I should; however, I'll be wearing wading boots with neoprene socks (if I wear the quick-drys) for when I need to get a few inches into the water or cross at certain points. I've never been to any of these streams and from looking at pics, can't really gauge what type of streamside vegetation I'll be walking through. Thank you for your replies in advance!

P.S. - I couldn't decide which forum this post was appropriate for so please move if warranted.

JasonC:

First let me say I am almost exclusively a wet wading angler from as early in the year to as late as I can stand it. Normal attire is quick drying LONG nylon pants, heavy wool socks under Neoprene “guide” socks (the type with a gravel guard) and my regular wading shoes that are felt bottomed with studs.

That being said…

Letort:

I’ve fished the Letort forever and with very, very few exceptions I am on the bank. However, mud and marshy spots abound and I am often kneeling or sitting in it. For that reason, it is one of the few places where I wear stocking foot waist high waders. Plain quick drying pants would suffice too as long as you have a change of clothes, a spare pair or a washing machine handy because they will get very muddy if you kneel or sit.

Believe it or not, I have a special pair of wading shoes just for the Letort which are plain rubber bottoms with no studs NOT felt which sucks in the mud there and is also totally unnecessary as are studs for that matter.

Tully:

I’ve only fished it a few times but if I do, I am wet wading as described above with my regular wading shoes.

Falling Springs:

I don’t wade IN the water there either but may need to go in a short distance. It’s not as muddy as the Letort so I may wear my wet wading set-up with my “Letort” rubber bottomed wading shoes, stocking foot hip boots with the same wading shoes or most often just a pair of high Muck Boots.

Big Springs:

Except once, I haven’t waded more than an inch or two at Big Springs so I just wear a pair of high Muck Boots.

Yellow Breeches:

Fishing the Breeches is all about wading so the same wet wading attire I would wear at the Tully or any other stream with my regular felt bottomed shoes with studs. Rubber with studs or plain felt is fine there too.

In regards to wet wading, like anywhere in PA, be aware you may encounter Multiflora rose, stinging nettle and poison ivy at all of these streams. I have no issues with keeping an eye out for trouble versus wearing waders, especially when it is hot and I am NOT in the water, but of course YMMV.

Hope this helps, have fun and enjoy your tribute!!

This helps tremendously, thank you!

I just got home from a four day weekend in the western Poconos. This was a wet wading trip for me and the water temperatures finally reached the 70 degree F mark.

At this temperature, I leave the trout alone. I can still do other things there though.

Wading in the Tobyhanna Creek is difficult so I have to be dressed for in case/when I fall in.

All of what I wear are quick drying nylon. I have a pair of knee high NRS neoprene socks and my wading boots are Orvis BOA Pro Wading Boots.

I am an aggressive wader at age soon to be 63, and more often then not, I end up falling in.

I am Canoetripper for a reason, and that is because I own many wet suits and a dry suit. I know how to deal with cold water and how to avoid hypothermia.

Since you are planning on fishing limestoners, the water will be a little bit colder than my weekend on a freestoner.

Never underestimate either cold or moving water. It is more problammatic than you think. If you think that you are cold, you need to get out of the water.

I hope that you have a great time honoring your father.

I can't help any more than what the knowledgeable people before mentioned but I commend you for doing this in honor of your father. Like you, my dad got me into fishing at a early age. Because my dad did before I got into fly fishing I don't have the fly fishing memories that you do. But I think my dad would approve of me taking up fly fishing at a late age.

Well done. Find comfort when you can.

Good advice from Bamboozle (as usual) and I agree completely. . . especially the advice about stinging plants etc.

The CV streams, and Letort in particular, have very heavy bankside grass and vegetation and you will want long pants to navigate this stuff. I recommend treating your clothing with a permethrin based insect repellent. Personally I prefer hip waders for the CV streams in summer rather than wet wading. Due to sweat and condensation, wear quick dry pants under your waders. I also recommend a small towel around your neck for sweat and - if you're a nerd like me - a lens cleaning cloth for your glasses.

Rubber soles are fine for all these streams (maybe felt for the Tully) as they are small gravel or mud/marl bottom.

Here's something that happened to me on the Letort that is worth being aware of.

Much of the Letort is pretty shallow. And much of it can be fished from the bank without wading.

But I was at a section where the water is pretty deep, so I figured there must be big trout there. And there are trees and shrubs along the bank, so you couldn't really cast from there.

So, I tried wading up through there. Big mistake. The water was getting near the top of my chest waders and I was sinking into the mud on the streambed.

That's a scary situation. You feel like you can't get your boots out of the mud, and you're sinking down and the water is coming up.

It's not a common situation. On most streams the streambed is not boot-sucking mud like that. It's typically cobble, gravel, sand.

But the Letort is a low gradient stream and there is a lot of muck. Not to frighten you or anything. Just take your time and be aware of where you're stepping.

There are VERY, VERY, VERY few places on the Letort, especially from Trego's Meadow (above Bonnybrook Road) down to Letort Park where you can get into the water without getting into trouble.

Some of the places where you can get in are man made down at the end of Foxcrest Road that were created by Fox, Marinaro & company and the rest are natural.

I know of THREE and ONLY three places where you can even cross the stream in that section without almost disappearing forever and I haven't used two of those crossings in decades so I can't even be sure they are still viable and safe.

But you don't need to wade the Letort. Stay on the bank, get knee pads and walk on your knees to stay low and creep right up to the water's edge and sit right there (sometimes I even dangle my feet in the water).

I use a long rod (an 8'6" 5wt is my favorite) so I can put the tip top out over the water and cast in-line with the stream versus casting perpendicular which exposes you to snags behind you.

If you ever fished with me at the Letort you would be SHOCKED how close I get to the fish without putting them down. In most cases I am casting no more than 30 feet but to be honest, 10 - 20 feet is more common.

Bottom line, just stay OUT of the stream and you'll be fine...

FWIW - Big Springs down in the STW areas in Newville and Green Springs can swallow you up up too!!

Letort?

Listen to troubert; I almost drowned there once.

Attachments

• drowned.jpg
    drowned.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 4
Back