the new hardy ultralites ....

C

chrism80

Anyone give one of these reels a spin yet? or seen any reviews? im liking the looks of them and thinking about getting one. any thoughts, thanks.

don't have any experience with the ultralight, but if they are made like the rest of hardy's stuff, it will may outlast you.

I'm pretty sure that reel won an award at the show Marshall was referring to. For what it's worth, I think it took 1st place in the "Best New Reel" category.

Thanks for the replies and the video. i did a little more searching after i posted and found a nice review at yellow stone angler if anyone's interested. seems like pretty nice reel. lol now trying to justifie purchasing another real. best i can think of is how nice it'll look on my streamflex . ahhhh the fly fishing addiction lol.

I've been looking at them for a while, and think the design is justg what the doctor ordered. The Bing Factor is a bit too much for my visual tastes, however.....

I can bring my self to spend 200 on a click paw like the ultra light. When a lamson and ross cla are in same price range.

They have a disc drag one also. which is the way i think id go.

Its in the high 200 to 300 range. I think.

The one i have been eye balling is the 5000dd and seems to be around $220 range. figuring that model should balance a ten foot rod. currently use the 1.5 Lamson guru which is great but just a smidge on the light side.

It's a gorgeous reel. I think it's the best looking "modern" reel in it's price range, buy far. I saw the 4000dd for $169.00 on the google machine.

If anyone was interested i finally received the 5000dd . very nice reel .i can't wait to get out and fish it. almost balances a 10ft stremflex perfectly .

I hate flashy silvery reels,might as well go round wearing strobe lights,whats the deal with Hardy/Hatch/Nautilus an using shiny reels...give me a matte finish preferably black or dark grey maybe olive an im there,silvery glittery aint for me! your milage may vary

Lonewolve wrote:
I hate flashy silvery reels,might as well go round wearing strobe lights,whats the deal with Hardy/Hatch/Nautilus an using shiny reels...give me a matte finish preferably black or dark grey maybe olive an im there,silvery glittery aint for me! your milage may vary

They're messin' with ya. ;-)

bikerfish wrote:
don't have any experience with the ultralight, but if they are made like the rest of hardy's stuff, it will may outlast you.

I have to agree. I have a little Hardy Flyweight on my little 6' 1/2" T & T. The reel is pushing 40 years old. Haven't used it a lot lately, but it got used a lot in it's first 20 years. Still works fine. My son still has the Featherweight on his one rod. Also about 40 years old... and that reel was "brutalized". Still works, but admittedly, the clicker drag has seen it's better day. I could probably pick up a new pawl, clean the reel up, and it would be good for a few more years.

Hardy makes good stuff. Wouldn't mind have a new Zenith rod either. :)

It is true they do have some shine but this isn't the reel that will be used for spooky small mountain stream fish. don't have all so many of those around the northern Pittsburgh area. which leaves me fishing for mostly stockies and i hear they love shiny things. lol

However holding the reel in hand it feels very solid and the drag feels pretty good just messing around with it in the house.

Northbranch, I think the reel should have two pawls in it. Only one should be engaged at a time depending if it is Left hand wind or right hand. If there are two in it then It should be able to be switched from one side to the other.
steve

NorthBranch wrote:

[/quote]
Still works, but admittedly, the clicker drag has seen it's better day. I could probably pick up a new pawl, clean the reel up, and it would be good for a few more years.

Hardy makes good stuff. Wouldn't mind have a new Zenith rod either. :) [/quote]

caveman wrote:
Northbranch, I think the reel should have two pawls in it. Only one should be engaged at a time depending if it is Left hand wind or right hand. If there are two in it then It should be able to be switched from one side to the other.
steve

caveman,

Only one left. Wore the first one out many, many years ago.

I cleaned the reel this weekend, and much to my the surprise, the other pawl still looks good. The line is shot though. :-(

Back