the maurice fly

shakey

shakey

as i was tying some early spring flies to get ready for this season i went through a deal of wood duck dyed mallard flank natural mallard flank.i was tying dark cahills and hornbergs etc.

it occurred to me i need some maurice flies in my box .

i could stand instruction,size recommendations and i would really appreciate a picture.

such a killing fly can't be ignored.

Size 10-14 streamer hook(TMC 5263). Lemon dyed mallard flank tail. Brown saddle hackle. Enjoy.

Boyer

i remember that much.but i can't remember how much flank fiber and what to do with the hackle.

i never really saw the fly up close.

length is 1 1/2 times the length of the hook and the hackle is three wraps around the collar. I'll try to get a pic up in a day or two if I can.

Boyer

So is it a wet hornberg or more of a spider? Or is it a dry?

it was originally based on a hornberg,with everything unnecessary taken away.a VERY SPARSE FLY.

tomgamber wrote:
So is it a wet hornberg or more of a spider? Or is it a dry?

Yes! I don't bother matching pairs of flank feathers, I just grab a clump of fibers. I have also done away with the double hackle, jungle **** eye, and foil around the hook. Other than that, your descriptions are all accurate. You can fish it wet or flick the water off of it and fish it dry. It also resembles a spider. Or a small fish. Or an emerger. It's so simple it can be anything. Crazy fly. Developed it by losing a lot of flies and getting lazy.

Boyer

if i wanted as a wet,would i use hen hackle?

Sorry. Strung neck, not saddle. And yes.

Boyer

In the words of Bobby Subgum.......Don't mock me round eye!
:-D

Seriously, is this something I offered up?

Maurice wrote:
Seriously, is this something I offered up?

Really Grandma? I started calling it that to bust yer stones, but a fly's gotta have a name, right? If you, however, insist, we will call it something else. My bad. "The Shakey" doesn't have the same ring to it, but it will work. :p

Boyer

OK whew.....here I thought I mighta showed you guys something at a Jamboree and I had no idea what you were talking about. Carry on.

Grandma

So, its the Grandma, then? Or the Shakey? I don't know no Mo'.

Anyways, sounds interesting.. I'd like to see a picture of it, myself.

i really like the fly and will probably continue to call it by the original name.i mean no offense though.

i just have to get my flybox ready and definately want to include it.i did well with hornbergs last year,so this seems like the logical next step.

Back