The Irresistible featuring Joe Messinger

T

tctrout

I had the opportunity to film Mr. Joe Messinger tying one of his father's patterns, the Irresistible. Joe graciously shares his father's original recipe and unique tying techniques for this pattern, and I want to thank him for taking the time to do so.

Enjoy!

Tim

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjsOGVyhMBM&t=25s[/youtube]

Very nice! Thanks for sharing this.

I'm kinda straddling the line between traditional tying (spun deer hair) and modern (foam). Foam is a heck of a lot easier to work with and is a lot less messy. But, it doesn't have the panache of deer hair. :)

Years ago a professional Catskill fly tier I know tied up a bunch of size 18 olive Irresistibles one January. I bought a dozen and they were great flies for olive hatches - floated forever and could catch plenty of fish. When I ran out I tried to order a few dozen and he said he would never tie those again - he only did it when he was snowed in and bored. I tie them every now and again just for the memories, and because they work, but tiny deer hair bodies are tough to get right.

Fly-Swatter wrote:
Very nice! Thanks for sharing this.

I'm kinda straddling the line between traditional tying (spun deer hair) and modern (foam). Foam is a heck of a lot easier to work with and is a lot less messy. But, it doesn't have the panache of deer hair. :)

Thanks, and I'm happy to share this with all. Joe definitely is more traditional, and his flies are incredible.

Tim

linwood wrote:
Fantastic !!!!!

Thanks! Joe is incredible, and I will be posting the Interview video soon...

TC

Back