The Gun Powder

hunter1

hunter1

I'm heading to the G.P. tomorrow, GPH is at 283 as of now. Is that to fast to fly fish, safe wading. Other than that it looks like a perfect day to fish. Thank you.

It's not too fast to fish, but wading will be limited.

I've caught fish there in higher flows.

Thank's redietz. I'll give it a try tomorrow. I'll take the old wading stick, and be carefull.

Perhaps find a place with an open bank where you can cast without wading, or stick to the flat areas close to the bank. What section were you thinking of fishing?

In my opinion, when the GP is near 300 it's really not wade-able.

It's now at 263 and dropping. It's fishable, but I wouldn't plan on doing too much wading. As Steve suggested, stick to flat areas near the bank.

Any reason for the high water? We haven't had significant rain for awhile.

I could be wrong, but I believe the consistent higher than normal flows are due to spillover from Prettyboy Reservoir rather than just getting water the bottom of the dam. All of the snow this winter and rain this spring have filled up the reservoir so there is spillover.

Thank's Guys. The G.P. was fast and deep today. I went to Massmore rd, Figured it would be easy access. The flows were deep and fast. The collage pool was up to the top of my %ss, I'm 5'10". I stayed close to or on the banks to fish. Collage pool was deep but nice to fish. I hit a sulfur hatch as i entered the pool going up stream. I cought 5 fish. It turned out to be a great day, weather wise and fish wise. Wading staff came in handy. Thank's.

I could be wrong, but I believe the consistent higher than normal flows are due to spillover from Prettyboy Reservoir rather than just getting water the bottom of the dam. All of the snow this winter and rain this spring have filled up the reservoir so there is spillover.

That's exactly right. And everytime it starts to get down to 150 cfs we get more rain. Maybe PA avoided it, but we had significant rain again on Tuesday.

Redietz, speaking of GP flows, what would you consider ideal? I fished one day a couple of years ago at 135 and I literally caught a fish in every "fishy" looking holding spot, sometimes 2 or 3 in the same drift.

The fish in my avatar was caught a couple of days after a heavy rain, at 165, water was still a little stained.

Redietz, speaking of GP flows, what would you consider ideal?

I prefer somewhere around 100, but I once had a 40+ fish day at 30 cfs, and I had a good day last Sunday at 200. I guess it depends on where in column the fish are feeding as much as the flow.

Back