The Frenchie

NJTroutbum

NJTroutbum

Frenchie.JPG

The Frenchie is a proven pattern both here and in Europe. Brought by the French during tournament fishing, it is to them what the Hot-spot Pheasant Tail has been for us. Tied in a myriad of colors, this version is by far the most effective on local waters for me.

Frenchie Recipe

Hook: #14 Orvis Tactical Wide Gape
Thread: Fluorescent Orange 70 Denier Ultra
Bead: Gold Tungsten
Tail: Medium Pardo CDL
Rib: Fine Gold Wire
Abdomen: Natural Pheasant Tail
Thorax: Shrimp UV Ice-Dub

For a full tying video, click on the link below:
Tying the Frenchie Video

Had success with these in the winter of 2014 on Neshannock Creek in NW PA. It was 19 degrees out, and I managed 7 trout with the same pattern/color above.

Haven't tied it with the ice dub, but I like your thinking...nice!

That looks nice. I have found them especially effective on stockies.

another great Lance Egan pattern

Any colors that others use? I've had success on pink and orange...

TC

Got into this pattern after reading Dynamic Nymphing and it has definitely become one of my go to's, especially on new water.

@tctrout

I have tied some using green and peral ice dub as well and had success with each

A great fly that works everywhere.

Newbie question here....will pheasant tail work for the tail rather than cdl?

Of course it will. there are not very many magic materials that can't have a substitute.
Most flies can have most parts subbed with several different materials; some similar, and others vastly different.

MKern wrote:
Of course it will. there are not very many magic materials that can't have a substitute.
Most flies can have most parts subbed with several different materials; some similar, and others vastly different.

I've become quite good at this! I don't have a giant cache of tying materials like some folks, but run across patterns I think look good and end up always having to substitute something.

Absolutely. However with this pattern I would go with hackle tips, since that is what CDL is. Maybe a dun or brown. or even a griz/dun mix?

CDL

http://www.flyfishinghistory.com/coq_de_leon.htm

Back