The "dreaded" Mop Fly

Fly-Swatter

Fly-Swatter

Warning: Winter musings ahead!

So, I'm sitting here drinking my morning coffee, watching fly tying videos and wondering what exactly is the problem many fly fishers have with Mop Flies. Is it an image problem. I mean, they ARE called "MOP" flies Does that imply they are dirty?

We have no problem with chenille WRAPPED AROUND a hook (ie, woolly bugger), but we seem to turn our collective noses up at chenille DANGLING FROM a hook (ie, san juan worm, mop fly). Does the green weenie straddle this line?

I realize, on a philosophical level, we all find our happiness individually, but why draw the line here. It seems arbitrary to me.

I don't mean for this to sound sarcastic. I really would like to hear many opinions on this.

I've never held any disdain for the "mop" fly. I've tied a few of them up but never really even remember fishing them. Don't know why.

Sometimes it's fun to try to get into the mind of a fish. What do they actually think when they see a mop fly drifting naturally low in the water column right down a great feeding lane? I doubt they think - "look there's another mop fly, that angler must think I'm a sucker"! More realistically they might be thinking - "look at that cranefly larva or huge green rockworm". However, I really am thinking that as they spot it they are just thinking "FOOD" and they are all over it.

Maybe 2018 just might be the year for me to try out the mop fly on occasion. Sounds like fun!

I am unsure why it is held in that regard it is. Maybe people would be more accepting if it was called an extended body rock worm. That sounds more formal. I have fished them with little success but I still carry a few.

This is one that some categorize as a junk fly just like the squirmy wormies, green weenies, etc. If I have learned anything if someone is calling a fly a junk fly then I should have a few because there will come a time when it will out produce everything in box.

IMHO, one of the great things about fly-fishing, especially for trout, is the fact that trout feed on insects that hatch in and on the water. One can read about and witness these hatches on the stream, study the insects, and tie a fly to imitate them to catch a trout. You can spend hours, days, months and years learning about these insects and perfecting your fly patterns and fishing techniques.

Or if it's all just about catching a fish, you can chuck in a mop fly, green weenie or squiggly wiggly and not have to worry about all that stuff....."not that there's anything wrong with that"....as Jerry said.

Nothing wrong with tying a mop fly.

"There is no issue with a fly that is tied just to catch a fish, if that is all you want...." Quote from Al Beatty

I have tied my fill of honey bugs and classic wet fly patterns, which I fish.

Attachments

• Trout Fin step 9.jpg
    Trout Fin step 9.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 19
Allright - I've got a confession to make here: I carry a few of these in my fly boxes now.

Some background:

While fishing the clarion river last spring, I found a fly rod at one of one of the access lots.
It was still strung up - with a big fly in the hook keeper, that I thought was a large green weenie.
Anyway, I put a post on this site about finding this rod, and was quickly contacted by the owner.
We arranged to meet while I was still in the area. And when we did, I asked him about this fly. He told me it was a mop fly - and that the fish go bonkers over it. He also insisted that I keep the fly, and give it go.
So, I put it in my vest. And kinda forgot about it during the rest of my spring fishing.

Fast forward a few months to summer, when I made my first drive to dunbar creek. I was having a rather so - so day, catching some fish on terrestrials. But hardly pounding them. I soon found myself on one particularly deep hole, that held quite a few large fish. And after catching one on my usual surface fare, couldn't raise another fish there.
They were just sulking on the bottom, obviously not in the mood to surface feed anymore.
So, I thought, why not try the mop fly? And when I did, the fish just hammered it. As soon as that fly dropped into the water, they all raced each other to be the first to chomp it.
And what was really neat to me - since the water was so low and clear - I could see all of the action. Like fishing a dry fly subsurface, I guess.
I caught fish after fish on that fly, until one finally ran me under a rock, and broke off.

Needless to say, I was very impressed by this. And bought the stuff to tie some more.
And used them here and there, throughout the summer. Just in similar situations, where the fish just absolutely refused surface fare.

I've also heard that they work on steelhead, and had planned on taking a trip to erie to give them a go there. But work kinda interfered, and I never did make it.

So, junk fly? Yeah, I guess. But.............

s

dryflyguy wrote:
Allright - I've got a confession to make here: I carry a few of these in my fly boxes now.

Some background:

While fishing the clarion river last spring, I found a fly rod at one of one of the access lots.
It was still strung up - with a big fly in the hook keeper, that I thought was a large green weenie.
Anyway, I put a post on this site about finding this rod, and was quickly contacted by the owner.
We arranged to meet while I was still in the area. And when we did, I asked him about this fly. He told me it was a mop fly - and that the fish go bonkers over it. He also insisted that I keep the fly, and give it go.
So, I put it in my vest. And kinda forgot about it during the rest of my spring fishing.

Fast forward a few months to summer, when I made my first drive to dunbar creek. I was having a rather so - so day, catching some fish on terrestrials. But hardly pounding them. I soon found myself on one particularly deep hole, that held quite a few large fish. And after catching one on my usual surface fare, couldn't raise another fish there.
They were just sulking on the bottom, obviously not in the mood to surface feed anymore.
So, I thought, why not try the mop fly? And when I did, the fish just hammered it. As soon as that fly dropped into the water, they all raced each other to be the first to chomp it.
And what was really neat to me - since the water was so low and clear - I could see all of the action. Like fishing a dry fly subsurface, I guess.
I caught fish after fish on that fly, until one finally ran me under a rock, and broke off.

Needless to say, I was very impressed by this. And bought the stuff to tie some more.
And used them here and there, throughout the summer. Just in similar situations, where the fish just absolutely refused surface fare.

I've also heard that they work on steelhead, and had planned on taking a trip to erie to give them a go there. But work kinda interfered, and I never did make it.

s

lol....like I said "not that there's anything wrong with that!"

You may have to moniker, though...."MopFlyGuy" :lol:

afishinado wrote:
dryflyguy wrote:

Some background:

s

lol....like I said "not that there's anything wrong with that!"

You may have to moniker, though...."MopFlyGuy" :lol:

Yeah, I know I will never be able to look at Bill the same way again. You know Bill, there are some things you should just keep to yourself.

Sheesh! :p

dryflyguy wrote:

Say it ain't so Bill! :-o

I appreciate the replies.

DGF: I appreciate the confession, even if it's TMI. ;)

My confession:I tied a few mop flies last night and I felt a little guilty. I felt partly guilty b/c I was tying mop flies and partly b/c I got the "mop" material from my wife's new bathroom rugs (they are tan and ***-ugly, but there's a wealth of mop fly materials there!).

I first heard about Mop flies in the spring. I tied a few up. Did fairly well with them, mainly warm water, did catch a few trout. I always carry a couple with me when I go out.

Attachments

• P5180057_edited-3.jpg
    P5180057_edited-3.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 27
dryflyguy wrote:

Some background:

Not a junk fly at all. It was imitating green inchworms, which are common in the summer. It's been well known for a long time that trout go crazy for green inchworms, especially in the summer and early fall.

Whether you tie a green inchworm pattern with vernille, cotton chenille, or mop material probably makes little, if any, difference.

When the trout are feeding on green inchworms, a pattern that looks like a green inchworm will work very well.

No more than Walt's worm or green weenie. Simple, yes. Junk, no.

By the way, mop flies aren't just tied in green - as shown in JerryC's post

Josh Miller of international angler told me, that has favorite color is beige.

Last fall, while driving out to the little juniata, I stopped at a fly shop on route 22 in franks town. And got into a discussion about them with the shop owner. He proceeded to show me a fly case with a bunch of mop flies - that he tied - in every color under the rainbow. Told me they're great for steelies.

So, just curious - has anyone out there used them at Erie?

I bought a sheet of foam at Tony’s house after he died that had a bunch of different patterns on it. One was what appears to be a mop fly, the pattern is purple. I almost put one on my last trip to Erie. I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work. A blob of colored material describes most steelhead flies.

Lots of dumb stuff catches plenty of fish.

It seems half our popular nymphs are nothing but flashy materials now.

The only problem with the so called "junk" flies like mop flies, squirmy worms, etc. is that some anglers are so overcome by the novelty of catching fish on a piece of a mop, that the fly's effectiveness becomes exaggerated. I think this effect really hurts newer fisherman as it leads them to overlook diversifying their repertoire of fishing techniques and fly patterns. I've seen guys who have nothing but green weenies, mop flies, sucker spawn, and SJW's in their boxes. Sure, these flies catch fish and the anglers can certainly do fine for a few weeks in the spring, but I really think they are setting themselves up for boom or bust fishing trips.

I have vivid memories of a funny incident that happened when I was just getting started in fly fishing.
My "mentor" took me to fisherman's paradise for the first time.
It was a very warm, sunny day, in early summer. The water was already quite low and clear. And the fishing was slow as molasses.
Nothing hatching or rising at all. And neither of us moved a fish for hours.
Then, a couple - with a small child - pulled into the gravel lot across from the hatchery. They went up on the bridge over the creek there,
and started throwing bread into the water. And watched as the fish went nuts over it - many of them quite large.
We had some fly tying stuff with us, and my buddy got it out. And quickly whipped out a few "bread" ties - made with white yarn. (I didn't tie yet)
We got back on the water and had a ball - until the fish got onto the fake bread, anyway.
Now that's the ultimate junk fly!

Last year in a sulphur hatch, I could not buy a hit on top. Fish weren’t rising either. I tied on a mop fly and they literally charged it fighting to get there first. My lesson wasn’t “mop flies are awesome” but more “switch it up even if you think you know what they want. “

They work well in summer not just because of inchworms. I fish honeybun-like flies and I am convinced they make a better cranefly larvae (which are quite active in the summer) than an inchworm. Hard to know what color trout see. green to us may look very different to them. These flies are twice as effective in sections heavily populated with crane flies. There are two sections of the J with particularly heavy CFs and I start with this pattern. So, these types of flies are no more of a junk fly than a caddis larvae IMO.

I agree with the craneflys larvae reference. But I have to share this. Once a few years ago on a small stream I was doing work on, it required a pump around. So when the coffer area was dried up and only a few puddles remained, there was a refuge of craneflys larvae. My laborer pointed it out. There were dozens in a pool the size of a garbage can lid. A little less than an inch long and cigar shaped. (Think Walt’s worm)well after I explained this stage of life in such a small adult, I picked up a few and took them to the moving water and tossed them in one at a time. Upon hitting the water they’d flatten out like a ribbon and expend their body to >2”. Undulating/swimming like a piece of seaweed. They looked more like a piece of chamois than a mop. Interesting. In fact it reminded me of Padraics San Juan chamois worm from back in the day.

Another unconventional aquatic profile I witnessed was a giant black stonefly. Pulled one off a rock once and after examining its proportions and details I tossed it in a shallow, moderate run. It curled up into a ball like a potato bug as it moved downstream.

So maybe the trouts think the mop fly in purple are giant stones.

Same with mayfly nymphs, they seem to curl their abdomens back into a curl.

Weird wacky stuff.

Now ya know.

Back