The Delaware River Story - Lee Hartman

D

dryflyguy

On the way up to fish there earlier this year, I stopped at the Lordville access area, and walked out on the bridge to check for risers.
As I stood there looking - (nothing happening then) - another fisherman came by, and we started to chat.
He was from the area, and seemed quite knowledgable of the area.

I eventually asked him if Lee Hartman still ran the Indian Springs camp, which is just upstream of the bridge.
Just by a chance run in, I had spent a pleasant evening fishing with him there years ago just below the bridge.
And was wondering if he was still around.

The guy told me that he thought someone else was running the fishing camp now.
But that Lee had recently written a book about the river that was excellent.
I remembered that, purchased it shortly afterward, and finally got around to reading it the last few weeks.

Its not really a fishing guide, but does have some interesting fishing tales from Lee's experiences on the river.
It does get heavily into the history of the area though, which I found fascinating.
Going way back to colonial times, and right on up through the construction of the dams, that turned it into the fabulous coldwater fishery it is today.
And even into the recent water wars, to keep the good fishing going

Lee also has been heavily involved in many conservation efforts on the river too, which those of us who love this great river should be very thankful for.

Once I started on it, I completely read it in a week or so - which I rarely do with other books I've read.
All in all, just a great book that I highly recommend

Lee sold Indian Springs a few years back. He still guides on the river. I fish with him every year. Good guy and a steward of the river. He was one of the founding members of FUDR and is still on the board. The book is very good.

My father and I took many trips up to Indian Springs, we had some awesome times. Lee is such a great guy.

I froze there and the old shower house was awful.....but..... Lee is a very nice guy. The place is owned by DRC or Al Caucci
now if I'm not mistaken.

I froze there and the old shower house was awful.....but..... Lee is a very nice guy. The place is owned by DRC or Al Caucci
now if I'm not mistaken.
I always thought the corker Club was a pretty cool idea. Are they open to the public?

Don't believe so. There's a few campers in there from fishermen and the rest are guide campers. It's full 99% of the time

now if I'm not mistaken.
How long ago did you stay there?

In the book, Lee talked about how he bought that property, back whenever.
The original building was pretty much a shack, and had to be completely gutted and rebuilt.
Then I guess he added a few cabins.

What's the corker club?

I stayed there 89-ish. Took my dad up to fish for the memorial day weekend. We had a tent with a blanket/ pillow for each of us. Went to 28 degrees the first night. We slept in the car for 2 nights. Big dark barn wood in center was restroom / shower. The swimming pool was still there and open at that time.

How long ago did you stay there?

In the book, Lee talked about how he bought that property, back whenever.
The original building was pretty much a shack, and had to be completely gutted and rebuilt.
Then I guess he added a few cabins.

What's the corker club?
When you caught a trout over 18 inches he would put the fisherman's name, fly, and where they caught it on a wine cork from dinner that night. He had quite the collection!

Yeah, read that in the book. Pretty cool.
Apparently, besides lodging, you got served meals there too.
Which surprised me for such a small place in a remote area
How was the food?

I’ll have to check it out.

I had a friend who guided for Lee years ago and my friend at that time was young and super enthusiastic , knew all the mayflies , the caddis , theyer names in Latin . He would tell Lee what worked that day on the river and Lee would respond " just put on a stonefly" .

I had a friend who guided for Lee years ago and my friend at that time was young and super enthusiastic , knew all the mayflies , the caddis , theyer names in Latin . He would tell Lee what worked that day on the river and Lee would respond " just put on a stonefly" .
Lol sounds about right, probably a rubber legs.

Yeah, read that in the book. Pretty cool.
Apparently, besides lodging, you got served meals there too.
Which surprised me for such a small place in a remote area
How was the food?
It was good, he would normally cook the breakfast and then he had someone come over and make dinner. It wasn't a five star meal but I wasn't there for the food. Those are some of my favorite fishing memories.

Lee ties a great stone fly nymph. The tying instructions were on his old website when he owned Indian Springs.

It is my understanding Indian Springs was bought by several members or regulars that stayed there. I will ask Lee when I see him.

It is my understanding Indian Springs was bought by several members or regulars that stayed there. I will ask Lee when I see him.
By my recollection sometime around 2008 Lee divided up Indian Springs into a membership style camp. I believe there were somewhere around 12 "owners". Lee was still maintaining the camp but it's been a number of years since I've talked to him.

Lee sold Indian Springs a few years back. He still guides on the river. I fish with him every year. Good guy and a steward of the river. He was one of the founding members of FUDR and is still on the board. The book is very good.
He was also one of the founding members of Perkiomen Valley TU when he lived in the Upper Perkiomen valley. His other book, Trails of a Wild Frontier is a fascinating account of the first westerners seeking fishing and guiding opportunities in the former Soviet Union.

Back