The Cost of Trout Fishing

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
I found a link to this article published in the NY Times. Some other fishing sites thinks it's blasphemy. I generally agree with the author.

The Cost of Trout Fishing

NEW LONDON, Conn. — WITH the long winter now behind us (I hope), I’m about to head out to the nearby Salmon River here in Connecticut to see what a season’s worth of ice has done to the place. Now that fishing season has arrived, the river no doubt will be crowded with newly stocked fish and wader-clad fishermen who share my passion for this sleek and beautiful creature. But my rod will be collecting dust at home. I reluctantly gave up fishing 10 years ago after I saw what a century of stocking nonnative fish was doing to the landscape I love.

Twenty-eight million Americans will buy freshwater fishing licenses this year. Eight million of them will be trout and salmon anglers. Native wild trout have mostly disappeared in the face of this immense fishing pressure. They have been replaced by nonnative hatchery fish and their river-born “wild” trout offspring. Nationwide, state and federal fisheries agencies dump some 130 million trout in lakes, rivers and streams each year. Although this stocking lures people outside, the hatcheries that produce these trout create environmental problems.

Trout aquaculture is heavily reliant on pellet feed. The federal and state hatchery production of some 28 million pounds of trout per year requires roughly 34 million pounds of feed. These pellets are derived from herring, menhaden and anchovies harvested from oceans in quantities that the United States Department of Agriculture and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration say are unsustainable. We are devastating populations of marine species simply to support a freshwater hobby.

If that’s not bad enough, hatcheries are major polluters. Each year, much of the roughly six million pounds of fish excrement, uneaten food and dead and decaying fish that I estimate are produced by these hatcheries leach nutrients into wastewater that is often then dumped untreated into the closest stream or river. This wastewater can also contain medicines and antibiotics used to limit diseases in crowded pens, and disinfectants that sterilize holding tanks. Ultimately, these hatcheries may be contributing to the proliferation of “dead zones” — biological wastelands created by excess nutrients — that are choking estuaries and coastal ecosystems downstream.

For more than a century, government stocking efforts and more recent well-intentioned but illegal introductions of fish by anglers have wreaked havoc on native trout and other fish species. Seven species of native trout are considered threatened and others have become extinct because of interbreeding and competition from nonnative trout and other game fish introduced into freshwater streams. Despite these problems, most trout stocked this year will be nonnative to the streams and rivers where they will be released.

Many of the fishermen who will revisit their favorite stream this spring are happy to release their quarry after hooking and reeling them in. Although catch-and-release might seem, logically, to help maintain high numbers of catchable fish, the science does not validate this practice. Survival rates of hatchery fish in the wild are very low, especially after hooking damage and exhaustion associated with repeated catch-and-release encounters.

Studies suggest that 75 to 80 percent of hatchery trout are gone soon after stocking. The fact that many states still routinely stock streams regulated as catch-and-release-only waters is a strong indication that catch-and-release does not ensure fish survival. Hatcheries are breeding fish that are poorly adapted to life in the wild. Even worse, these fish can pass on their undesirable traits to wild populations of native fish.

Although stocking trout is harmful, eating them is far better than eating native wild trout. When these native fish die, their genetic uniqueness dies, too. (Brook and lake trout are the only trout native to the entire Northeast, for instance; nonnatives like brown, rainbow and golden trout are also released into Northeast streams.) Unfortunately, many states set uniformly high catch limits that draw no distinction between native versus nonnative trout. Therefore, anglers need to hold themselves to a higher standard than the rules that govern their actions.

In the end, perhaps the most ethical approach for anglers would be to catch and consume nonnative wild and hatchery-produced game fish. Huge resources go into the production of farm-raised fish, after all, and at serious environmental costs. Conversely, it is more important than ever to protect wild populations of native fish with catch-and-release practices. Many states provide trout identification materials in their angler regulations. Establishing stricter limits and mandatory releases of native species whenever they are healthy enough to survive being hooked could help preserve the genetic integrity of aquatic environments.

If we continue to ignore the impact of hatchery fish on aquatic ecosystems, we will soon regret what has been lost.

Douglas M. Thompson, a professor of geology at Connecticut College, is the author of “The Quest for the Golden Trout: Environmental Loss and America’s Iconic Fish.”

Link to source: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/11/opinion/the-cost-of-trout-fishing.html?_r=0

oh boy. hold on to your hats everyone.

I am reserving comment here because I have mixed feelings about stocked fish. The article brings to light many salient points but I can think of a lot of counterpoints that are equally as valid.

Regardless I think stocking is here to stay and the best we can hope for is that we can manage it well and begin to reduce adverse impacts.

I largely agree with his assessment, especially in regards to the long term impact of hatcheries.

Where I disagree is in the "wild but nonnative" category. Would I rather have purely brookies? Yeah, probably. But I don't put the wild browns or rainbows on as low a rung as he does. He puts them on the same scale as direct hatchery plants. I put them well above direct hatchery plants (of any species), but yes, still below the native brookie.

Another slight disagreement is that if this guy were to be listened to completely, if we do have to stock, he'd say we should stock brookies. In the same article he's placing utmost importance on natives, and pointing out the negative genetic influences of hatchery fish. Logic would say that, if you want to elevate the status of the native brookie, the most dangerous stocked species of stocked trout would be the brookie.

pcray1231 wrote:
Another slight disagreement is that if this guy were to be listened to completely, if we do have to stock, he'd say we should stock brookies. In the same article he's placing utmost importance on natives, and pointing out the negative genetic influences of hatchery fish. Logic would say that, if you want to elevate the status of the native brookie, the most dangerous stocked species of stocked trout would be the brookie.

Good point.

Well there's much to this article that we in the trout fishing community are well aware of...I think the target audience is the interested lay population who know about the popularity of trout fishing, and may occasionally engage in it themselves, but aren't aware of the complexities and problems inherent in stocking.

Finally, there's been a bit too much elevation - in my view - of "native species" over introduced ones. Many game fish introductions have had positive legacies - think smallmouth bass, brown trout, and striped bass - that have greatly enhanced our favorite sport. Sure, today we don't generally support introducing non-native fishes for good reasons. . .but the bias against fishes introduced many decades ago is unfair and overlooks their positive aspects.

"The Cost of Trout Fishing" is the title.

Which implies that TROUT FISHING is the problem.

Then he goes on to talk about the evils of the HATCHERY SYSTEM.

He is talking about the two things AS IF they are one and the same, as if they are inextricably linked. But they aren't.

Fishing for wild trout has no dependence whatever on the hatchery system.

If he thinks the HATCHERY SYSTEM is bad, then the logical thing to do would be to attack the HATCHERY SYSTEM, and advocate it's dismantling.

But not attack TROUT FISHING.

He's making such an obvious logical error. I don't know why the author, and his editors, didn't see that.

troutbert wrote:
"The Cost of Trout Fishing" is the title.

Which implies that TROUT FISHING is the problem.

Then he goes on to talk about the evils of the HATCHERY SYSTEM.

He is talking about the two things AS IF they are one and the same, as if they are inextricably linked. But they aren't.

Fishing for wild trout has no dependence whatever on the hatchery system.

If he thinks the HATCHERY SYSTEM is bad, then the logical thing to do would be to attack the HATCHERY SYSTEM, and advocate it's dismantling.

But not attack TROUT FISHING.

He's making such an obvious logical error. I don't know why the author, and his editors, didn't see that.

Another good point.

Regarding non-native trout that have established populations, mostly brown trout in PA.

That horse has already left the barn, so closing the barn door won't help now.

Those populations were established a long time ago. The wild trout in the streams are the result of reproduction in the streams.

Those fish are not coming from current stockings. So ending stocking won't make them go away. It's the same situation as with carp. Carp were introduced in the 1800s. Stocking of them ended long ago. But they are still here. They are not dependent at all on continued stocking. It's exactly the same with brown trout.

The levels of trout fishing we see today would not be sustainable if we stopped the hatchery system completely tomorrow. Personally I like the stocking of waters that don't hold wild trout, to allow people to fish, and leaving all wild trout waters alone. Then the worm chuckers and regular once in a while trout fishers have their fix, and those of us who enjoy wild trout in a wilderness or otherwise natural setting can enjoy them in a conservative and sustainable manner. The problem is "trout fishing" as a whole as viewed by the majority of people has become a sport dependent solely on the hatchery system, and in that way they are linked. If trout fishing had never become popular, we would still have large brook trout in many major river systems around the country and no rainbows or browns at all. This means less fishable water but more and better quality native brook trout fisheries. I don't mind the introduction of browns, although I wish they would have been kept out of some streams, but I certainly enjoy the pursuit of all species of native or wild trout. I just hate stocking over wild trout. It's pretty simple, until you get to the nitty gritty details.

Overall I would say I agree with the theme of that article, but definitely agree with some of the issues members have posted here as well such as the stocking of brookies over native populations as a bad idea.

I think Dwight is right when he notes that that the author of the NYT piece seems to be playing a shifting shell game, blurring the difference between trout fishing as a pastime and the problematic nature of the hatchery system. This sort of conflation is something the NYT routinely does when it is covering issues that have both an environmental as well as an outdoor sports component. Usually, when the Times runs a piece on hunting or fishing, it is framed either as the story of some ignorant sots out in flyover country who happen to hunt or fish or a not-very-subtle attack on the outdoor sports by painting their underpinnings as being anti-environmental (as they understand the meaning of the word "environmental" which is closer to how the rest of us define zoo or city park than anything actually having to do with the environment). These are the main reasons I pay no more attention to an NYT article on this sort of stuff than I would rely on advice from Sports Illustrated on the best way to prepare for dental implant surgery.

The levels of trout fishing we see today would not be sustainable if we stopped the hatchery system completely tomorrow.

I sort of agree, and sort of don't.

The % of trout in this state that are stocked is surprisingly low. But take this for instance. There are how many trout hatcheries in the state? 4, 5? Spring Creek alone has 2 of them, and 3 in the Spring Creek system.

And yet, the # of wild browns in Spring Creek likely compares similarly to the total output of those hatcheries.

That's 1 stream. We have approaching 4000 wild trout streams in this state.

Though a part I will concede is that those wild trout streams are not evenly distributed. Stocked trout streams are much more evenly distributed. There are areas of the state where local wild trout outnumber stockies 1000 to 1. But other areas where there are no wild trout to speak of, and stocked trout are the only game in town.

In the end, I agree, stock streams that need to be stocked.

If trout fishing had never become popular, we would still have large brook trout in many major river systems around the country and no rainbows or browns at all.

uhhhmmm, what? Brook trout were/are only native to the east, rainbows/cutts/golden/bull are native out west. The only introduced species to our country/continent as a whole is the brown...

historic_ranges-a1.jpg

Frustrating to read. Poor understanding of the topic. Garbage IMO.

There are tons of wild trout streams, but I'm not sure they would still exist and hold up to pressure if they were the only trout streams and stocked fish were suddenly gone, was my point. I'm not sure the number of hatcheries, but I know there is at least one more than you listed because I live five minute away. I think if stocked fish were gone, areas that don't have many wild fish would get fished so hard it would destroy many populations. There are certainly enough streams and wild trout for people to fish, but streams would become much more crowded, and I personally believe the wild waters we enjoy now would not exist in the same way they currently do with so much more pressure and commercialization. I do see your point though and maybe my choice of words wasn't ideal to convey my thoughts.

Tomitrout:

I'm well aware of cuttys and west coast natives. I guess I should have specified the eastern United states instead of the "country", as I was making a pretty generic statement under the premise that members of this forum understand the basics of native trout and where they are found. This is PAFF after all. That said, my statement does apply to other native trout as well, I referred to brook trout as those are the only native fish that impact us here in PA. Yes brown are the only trout introduced completely new to the continent, but as a large enough country introducing rainbows in the east and brooks in the west etc still had an impact, even if they were native to another part of the country... I do understand your confusion with my choice of words but I think you are missing the big picture of my statement and not sure why you are so hung up on that detail as it doesn't really add anything to the conversation. My point was that stocking non native fished reduced the number of and amount of habitat for native fish all over the country, and if we didn't stock over the years in order to keep up with the demand of "trout fishing" than we would be a lot better off today in that one respect.

"Studies suggest that 75 to 80 percent of hatchery trout are gone soon after stocking. The fact that many states still routinely stock streams regulated as catch-and-release-only waters is a strong indication that catch-and-release does not ensure fish survival. Hatcheries are breeding fish that are poorly adapted to life in the wild."

Maybe the genetics have changed over time and hatchery fish today are less able to survive, i don't know. But what I quoted doesn't make much sense to me. If stocked fish can't survive in a catch and release steam, how do you explain a stream like Valley? It's not stocked still, although some tribs may be(?) and there is a healthy population that gets caught and does fine.

Or maybe the 20-25% that do survive are able to breed, and combined with similar numbers from additional stockings there is enough to eventually establish a population at which point stocking can cease?

I'm not saying I disagree, yet, just asking for clarification. If only a small number live and more die from being hooked and played like he states, it seems like it would be almost impossible to reach a stable breeding population. But we have catch and release water with stable breeding populations that aren't continually stocked.

Apologies then, something I get hung up on.

Lots of 'expert opinions' on here, and to see your incorrect phrasing just kinda jumped right out...I get hung up on those details because they easily demonstrate how knowledgable someone on here might actually be about something, when all you really have to go on is a catchy screen name and slick avatar. You screw up the basics like that and the rest of your opinion really doesn't have much to stand on, that's all.

phiendWMD wrote:

If stocked fish can't survive in a catch and release steam, how do you explain a stream like Valley? It's not stocked still, although some tribs may be(?) and there is a healthy population that gets caught and does fine.

Or maybe the 20-25% that do survive are able to breed, and combined with similar numbers from additional stockings there is enough to eventually establish a population at which point stocking can cease?

Valley Creek's wild brown trout population was probably established before 1900.

" The federal and state hatchery production of some 28 million pounds of trout per year requires roughly 34 million pounds of feed. These pellets are derived from herring, menhaden and anchovies harvested from oceans in quantities that the United States Department of Agriculture and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration say are unsustainable. We are devastating populations of marine species simply to support a freshwater hobby."

Sort of a side issue, but- I don't see why imperiled ocean fish species should be made into fish feed pellets when there are ample populations of invasive silver and bighead carp now available in US river basins to serve that purpose- notably in the Mississippi River, and major tributaries like the Ohio River and the Illinois River. I'm still waiting for the appearance of bighead/silver carp sticks and smoked whole "silverfin" for my own consumption, for that matter.

To expand on my previous post, I believe the author of that article has a very poor understanding of the history of trout stocking, and the reasons that it has become so widespread, particularly in the eastern US. He does not take into account the widespread and significant habitat degradation that occurred in the 19th and early 20th centuries. He wants to blame stocking for the disappearance of native trout but does not take into account that their populations were already in serious trouble due t factors far more damaging than any related to sportfishing. Stocking was simply a band aid to appease anglers. Of course it has had negative affects and the article is accurate in some areas, but largely it tries to tie together things that are not that so simply associated while leaving out other critical facts regarding the problems facing native trout.

Furthermore, his comments on catch and release are rubbish. His figure of 75%+ trout being removed or not surviving long past stocking may be accurate in some cases or may be accurate across the board, but I seriously doubt that figure applies to trout stocked in special regs areas as he is suggesting. Also, he states they cannot s survive "repeated" catch and release. My own experience disagrees with that.

This article could have been good, but there is a lot of stuff missing and a lot of misrepresentations of the actual history of trout stocking. I never hesitate to say that we need to reduce stocking and turn toward a wild trout first mentality, but I am also a realist and also like to look at things objectively. This article is nothing more than a manipulation of facts that are not necessarily connected in the way they are represented. I cannot believe that this is unintentional. It's classic biased journalism.

As for who is and isn't an expert.... Well everyone needs to decide on their own what to believe and not believe. Writing an article doesn't make you right, working for a government agency doesn't make you right, having a degree doesn't make your right, posting on this forum doesn't make you right.

Frankly, I would trust the knowledge and opinions of some members of this forum over that of the author of this article any day. And other members.... well you know.

troutbert wrote:
phiendWMD wrote:

If stocked fish can't survive in a catch and release steam, how do you explain a stream like Valley? It's not stocked still, although some tribs may be(?) and there is a healthy population that gets caught and does fine.

Valley Creek's wild brown trout population was probably established before 1900.

Yes I understand it's nothing new. I don't understand why the same thing couldn't be done in a different stream today, like the author implies, without stocking it every year forever.

At one point it was stocked. A population was established. Stocking stopped years ago and we there are still fish there today.

phiendWMD wrote:
troutbert wrote:
phiendWMD wrote:

Yes I understand it's nothing new. I don't understand why the same thing couldn't be done in a different stream today, like the author implies, without stocking it every year forever.

At one point it was stocked. A population was established. Stocking stopped years ago and we there are still fish there today.

It is done. When Mike or someone else posts about new class as, or new streams that support wild trout, that is exactly what is happening.

Back