The Cortland Brook Series paired with Hardy Marksman

M

mattflyguy

I am looking to add a new rod to my collection. A smaller rod size for smaller streams. So I did some research and I really like the look of the Cortland Brook Series. Would like something in the 7 foot or 8 foot range perhaps a 3 weight or 4 weight, most likely a 4 weight.However, I haven't casted the brook series cortland rod. Has anyone here ever used one or own one? I am also certain that Cortland has a no questions asked policy, if it breaks they will repair or replace.What are your thoughts on the cortland brookie series?Your thoughts are appreciated.

I was also recently at a local fishing show up in Ithaca NY and I got my hands on a Hardy Marksman reel. I was astounded with this reel. So light, the drag was so smooth. I loved it, the way it functioned and its looks. So I would like to pair this reel up with the Cortland brookie rod if I get it. Is there a warranty associated with the Hardy Reels? Any of you own any Hardy Reels? How do they hold up for ya?I am willing to pay the price for this reel around 249 for a 2/3 or 265 for a 3/4 but they are flawless! I can justify the investment.

Thanks for your input.

Matt,

I own the 8' 4wt Brook. I purchased it after a suggestion by my fly shop last spring. Rod is constructed well and I have not had an issue with its cosmetics. I think the reel seat is the only thing I don't particularly like but I have learned to live with it. Overall I really like this rod and it casts tiny flies well. I have it set up with an orvis battenkill and the combo balances nicely. It is a pretty decent short to mid range rod that does excel at the tiny flies it is geared towards. It does handle size 8-10 weighted buggers and the double nymph rig with indicator but don't expect it to cast 40+' with that set up. It will do that but don't expect it to feel good and or be spot on accurate. At least to me it is sensitive enough and by the fall of 08 I could get the feel as to when I was over extending the rod. How does it fish? Well let's just say that a 6"10" fish puts on nice fight. I happened to hook a couple of 14"-16" trout in the fall and the rod performed well and they felt like they were even bigger. That being said I am looking for something a little more powerful for wind and larger waters to compliment this rod. I think if you fish small waters and tiny flies this will meet your needs. Price is pretty good as well $179 at my local shop.

Thanks Nittspike. I saw that the price was 179 and you really can't beat that price. Right now I am currently in State College, and I am not 100% sure that fly fishers paradise is a cortland dealer. Back home where I am from near Ithaca NY, there are a couple shops that I know are cortland dealers.

The only thing I am having second thoughts on is the Hardy Reel, it is quite costly but its performance is astounding. Maybe I should just go with a Ross FlyCast reel or something.

Matt,

I'm 90% positive that FFP is a cortland dealer and that you can in fact pic up (or at the very least cast) a brook series rod there. They are also very knowledgeable and can help you find what you're looking for in that price range.

As for the reel, I wouldn't spend that much on a salt reel where you live and die by the drag let alone a 4wt. On a rod that size that reel is really only holding the line for you. I've had very rare occasions where I need to fight a fish on the reel with my 4 and I've caught quite a few fish in the 20-25" range. Most fish you'll just strip in thus why the huge expense?

Just a few thoughts. Go check out FFP they'll get you slicked up.

Thanks Student of the Stream. Very true with the reel comment. I think I am going to stick with the Ross Reel, about 100 bucks. Total outfit is going to cost me around 290 which in my opinion is a great deal. Some rods alone go for 290 haha, thanks guys and I am going to stop in at FFP this weekend and give the cortland brookie a test cast.

Well I took another look at the marksman price, I was looking at a wrong figure the last time. Seems they go for about $265 which isn't horrible but is still way more than I'd spend on a trout reel.

I'm sure you'll find you can get some good deals on good reels and still have money left for flies, gas and food to boot.

Yes, FFP is a Cortland dealer and I have personally test casted the Brook Series rods there.

StudentofTheStream wrote:
Matt,

I'm 90% positive that FFP is a cortland dealer and that you can in fact pic up (or at the very least cast) a brook series rod there. They are also very knowledgeable and can help you find what you're looking for in that price range.

As for the reel, I wouldn't spend that much on a salt reel where you live and die by the drag let alone a 4wt. On a rod that size that reel is really only holding the line for you. I've had very rare occasions where I need to fight a fish on the reel with my 4 and I've caught quite a few fish in the 20-25" range. Most fish you'll just strip in thus why the huge expense?

Just a few thoughts. Go check out FFP they'll get you slicked up.

Yep, I cast the Cortland against a Sage at FFP in November. I took the Sage (on clearance sale) but the Cortland was a close second.

For reference... I was going to purchase a Cortland Brook Series rod about a month ago. Couldn't decide between the 6'-6" or the 7'-0" rod. I loved casting the Brook Series rod... It's a lot easier to cast than I originally thought. My concern though was the "compression" reel seat, it plain sucks!!! So I called Cortland to ask what my options would be since the 8'-0" rod utilizes the uplocking reel seat I figured it was a matter of weight, which is not the case. The 8' is identical in weight to the 7'. Cortland stated that they had planned to have an uplocking reel seat on the shorter model Brook Series by the first of April. To date I have not contacted Cortland to check on the status of... but I do no it is in the cards....

Well I had planned on purchasing the 8 weight initially so I won't have to worry about the reel seat. But I am super excited on getting this rod.

Back