The Carey Special

• Thread starter PoconoMountainRods
  • Start date
P

PoconoMountainRods

If you never tied or used a "Carey Special" you need to put a couple in your fly box.

The internet sites out there suggest several materials used in this pattern and cetainly many look tasty....but I like it tied best as I had found the pattern in Randall Kauffman's book.

It seems that when there is subsurface feeding going on and mayfly nymphs are emerging the pattern rocks.

The pattern uses rump feather fibers from a Phesant Rooster; the hook shank is threaded; I use black or Olive and an under dubbing is applied and it could be your choice; I use a Mahogany Dun material just because the color is a close match to the Phesant just in case the fly gets beat up, it still might produce.

Anyway after the body has been under dubbed, take the thread back to the bend of the shank to get it out of the way. I take rump feathers and remove a small portion and tie them in point first. I find it hard to use hackle plyers on this fly so I get a good grip and turn the feathers over the dubbing and proceed up the shank. You'll likely run short, tie off the Phesant at what ever point you are at in the body and gather up more Phesant to continue on with the body.

You'll use the same Phesant material and tie in the under collar?? which should extend to the point of the hook or a shade further, then apply the wing; which again is just a nice clump of the Phesant rump feather and that wing should extend past the bend of the hook slightly.

Alternate method for me: I sometimes tie in some fine gold,silver or copper tinsel or fine wire when I start the pattern; and at the appropriate time I turn it up through the body as you would rib any fly.

Also, you could use Phesant tail fibers; they work well and are somewhat easier to work with however, the rump feather fiber is prefered by me and I think the coloring in the natural material is what does it for me.

Have a few variations as I mentioned, you'll fine it to be a valuable pattern in your box. I use a size 10 wet fly/numph hook but a 12 would be a good size also.

Enjoy !

Here's a link to a recipe and fly tying instructions:
http://www.westcoastflyfishers.com/fly_patterns/carey_special/carey_special.html

Good link and additional method for the pattern. There are so many ways to tie it. I never did tie it with a Pecock Hurl body but I am sure it will work around here tied like that.

In the book where I had found it years ago, and as I read on about it; the statement went on to say that Eastern Anglers would benefit from adding it to the fly box.....they sure nailed that one. I've caught so many fish on it over the years.

Great fly. Don't hesisatate to use it on a floating line either, I always do. For my instances the fish seem to grab the fly just under the surface or as it begins to rise in the dead drift.

The link (s) give some good instruction on how to fish the fly.

It's always produced for me here in NEPA.

Thanks for the reply and for putting up a pattern for the example.

Tim

Great Fly,
I have done great with it during a stone fly hatch, casting it behind boulders and dead drifting it. I have also done well swinging it like a wet fly.

Here is the link to the one I use, there are a couple variations. I remember catching fish on this fly when I first started fly fishing and didn't even know what it was. LOL.....I went to a couple different fly shops before one guy knew what it was. I had gotten the fly as a gift.

http://www.westfly.com/fly-pattern-recipe/wet/careyspecial.shtml

this is a nice big ,effective fly.hard not to like it.

i tye it on a curved hook too,for a little variety.

Back