The Big 3 Summer dry fly patterns for trout

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Great article detailing the summer hatches / spinnerfalls and a common terrestrial found on PA streams right now > Tricos, White flies and ants.

Midsummer Trifecta

Those were the three that popped into my mind as soon as I saw the subject line.

Pretty hard to argue against those 3 patterns for sure.
However, personally, I seldom use any of them now.

I just don't live close enough to streams with trico and white fly hatches, to fish them very often.
I catch way more fish on slate drakes, and tan or gray caddis.

As for terrestrials: I used to use ants a lot. But as my eyes aged, I was really having a hard time seeing them.
So I switched to beetles, which have a larger profile on the surface.
And think that they work just as well - if not better

dryflyguy wrote:
As for terrestrials: I used to use ants a lot. But as my eyes aged, I was really having a hard time seeing them.
So I switched to beetles, which have a larger profile on the surface.
And think that they work just as well - if not better

I couldn't agree more. ^
I still like ants but now use them as wet droppers as often as on top.

Over the years I've mostly switched to beetles as go-to terrestrials for searching. Their larger size and shape is better formed for the use of a visibility post that I rely on to see the fly (well designed terrestrials float low and just can't be seen like hackled dries).

I still fish tricos and white flies, but not as much as in the past. Not sure what I'd consider my other top summer trout flies, but being more a nymph and streamer guy, these selections don't change much when summer arrives other than that I tend to use 'em in smaller sizes on freestone streams.

dryflyguy wrote:

I catch way more fish on slate drakes, and tan or gray caddis.

Yeah, I'd probably consider slate drake patterns more of a must-have summer trout fly than white fly patterns. Slate drakes are just more universal and are active during daylight hours making them a more likely bug to encounter.

What would be a good white fly nymph while you're waiting for the hatch?

Slate Drakes must taste really good to trout because if you see any Isonychias flying around it's time to fish them. September can be a great month for them. I've always felt the same way about blue wing olives

Before looking at the article, my guess was tricos, hoppers, and ants, in that order. So yeah, hoppers should be on that list. Beetles are a good choice too if you are going terrestrial.

1) Deerhair ant -#10 Splat! Slurp! Etc...

2) Deerhair caddis tied delta wing style with hackle clipped flush to bottom of body. #12-16. Mostly 14's. Best color is hare's ear body and brown hackle. Best mixed water dry I know. Floats flush in the flat water and bounces like a cork in the runs.

3) Hare's ear parachute #12-18. Mostly 14's.

I am a great admirer of Fauceglia's photography and his book, "Mayflies." I wish he would do another book, possibly calling it "Downwings," one that would deal with caddisses and stoneflies. I imagine he has many wonderful photos of grannoms, etc. that he could use to illustrate such a book.

(Just saying -- not meant to hijack this topic.)

Here is one I spoke of before on a different thread, a #14 or #16 bright green or chartreuse Adams. Not sure what it represents, an inch worm, BWO, leafhopper, small katy-did, grasshopper, or some other odd ball land based critter.. It just looks buggy enough that fish like it.

I love the Letort Hopper and Cricket. Easy to tie and large enough to fish a dropper under. I also love the disco beetle. I use a .30 or .35 cal shell to cut the disc from the foam sheet. Peacock herl wrap on the shank, tie the disc 2/3 of the way down on top and voila! Done! Love late summer!

When they are about ISOs are cheeseburgers to a trout's palate.

Trico duns and spinners ( on streams where they are present)

Parachute black ant

Foam beetle

Letort hopper and cricket

Inchworm

I know that's more than three but it's as narrow a selection as I can muster.

Back