The Best Fly tying Books You Should Read

C

cohafly

10 Fly Tying Books recommendation from Barry Ord Clarke.
10-best-fly-tying-books.jpg

Good selection.

Not related but I wish more tying books came spiral bound so that they open flat making it easier to follow step by step instructions.

CathyG wrote:

Not related but I wish more tying books came spiral bound so that they open flat making it easier to follow step by step instructions.

Agree.

https://www.amazon.com/Fly-Tiers-Benchside-Reference/dp/1571881263/ref=asc_df_1571881263/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=366289401820&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=879105392219143713&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005842&hvtargid=pla-1397510720552&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=79033899831&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=366289401820&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=879105392219143713&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005842&hvtargid=pla-1397510720552

+1 Jack. Like an encyclopedia of tying techniques.

Barr Flies: at least a handful of useful patterns, great step-by-step photos, and lots of photos of big trout for inspiration.

Hey Jack, don't read the book (The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference to Techniques) just look at the patterns and tie some , maybe some eggs for steelhead...

Skip Morris's "Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple" was a good primer for me. AK's Fly Box was great, learing to tie with quill bodies. Tying the Wet Fly & Fishing the Flymph, Jame's Leisenring. Soft Hackles, Sylvester Nemes.

I started my endeavor into fly tying ten years or so ago, and it was largely with books. I must say that as of the past few years, that's where they have stayed. It's hard to beat YouTube videos when it comes to the art of fly tying. Whether it's a pattern, technique, or other intricacy, seeing it in "real time" compared to frame-by-frame truly is invaluable. For the record, I still like my reading books in print, but when it comes to "how-to" content, videos are the ticket!

wgmiller wrote:
I started my endeavor into fly tying ten years or so ago, and it was largely with books. I must say that as of the past few years, that's where they have stayed. It's hard to beat YouTube videos when it comes to the art of fly tying. Whether it's a pattern, technique, or other intricacy, seeing it in "real time" compared to frame-by-frame truly is invaluable. For the record, I still like my reading books in print, but when it comes to "how-to" content, videos are the ticket!

I have to (grudgingly) agree with this.^
Nevertheless, there's a lot of good print literature. For those of us old timers we learned from books, or in some cases, classes or group get-togethers.

I mostly taught myself to tie as a kid, but did rely on books, most of them published in the 70s. However, I tell aspiring tiers to start with Youtube. Once you get down some of the basics from video, reading books is actually more rewarding and allows a new tier to "absorb" the written stuff more quickly and in a more effective way.

Start with video, then consult the books.

Back