Thank You Fly Fisher’s Paradise!

MathFish

MathFish

On our way back home from a family weekend vacation, we drove through State College and I stopped at Fly Fisher’s Paradise to buy a Renzetti Traveler pedestal vice. I had looked around and it seemed like they had the best price for the model I was looking to buy.

This was only my second time in this shop, but I was impressed on my first visit with the friendliness of the staff and it was really cool to see those guys tying flies right at the front of the store. Well, I am very glad I went back there for my vice purchase.

I don’t know the name of the man who helped me, but I told him what I was looking at buying and he said that it was a fine vice and that he ties on a Renzetti at home. He then showed me how it worked in comparison with a Regal. He was tying on a Regal at the store and showed me how simple the Regal was to use. He described it as “the epitome of simplicity.” The more I looked at and fidgeted with the Regal, the more impressed with it I became. I started to think that I would rather buy the Regal.

But, I looked at the price of a Regal with a pedestal base vs a Renzetti with the base and the Regal was $100 more... I had NO interest in going $100 over my budget. Then I saw that the clamp version was only $10 more than the Renzetti with the base.

So I asked what the benefits of a clamp vs a pedestal were and he explained the pros and cons. Long story short, I got the Regal with the clamp. I LOVE IT! I like the position and height of the clamp at my desk and I love the ease of use of the Regal.

All of this is to say thanks to Fly Fisher’s Paradise for helping me out with this purchase. I just wish I didn’t live 2 hours away from them!

+1.
You can order on line or phone. I saw one of the guys picking through different packages of materials while communicating with someone on the phone about the shades he/she wanted.

Yeah - great bunch of guys at FFP for sure.

As for that vice:

I really like my regal. And can't see me ever wanting to get something else.
Like you, I bought the clamp mount - even though I always use a base - because it was substantially cheaper.
Then I threaded the stem, and use it with the base that came with my old Thompson 360 - which is the first vice I bought when I started tying
I think all vices have a 3/8 inch stem. So, you could use a base from practically any vice with it

Thanks for the tip. I do have a base from my old vice, but the post for the Regal clamp vice is way too long to use on my base. I know I could cut it down, but I’m not ready to take a saw to my new toy quite yet. But, I do enjoy the setup of the clamp. I find it to be a more comfortable position at my desk.

dryflyguy wrote:
Yeah - great bunch of guys at FFP for sure.

No doubt!
FFp has been around for four decades and their reputation for customer service and fly fishing knowledge is second to none. They're much admired around here.

If you run out of Sulphurs in the middle of an epic all day hatch on Spring, just make sure to take your boots and waders off before you go in to buy more.

+1 for FFP & +1 for Regal clamp vice.

I have been using the same regal since 1993. Steve at PPF sold it to my girlfriend (now wife). She gave it to me as a grad gift.

The only thing I added to the vice was the midge jaw. I've tied thousands of flies from #4/0 SS saltwater down to #28 midges with ease using either the standard or midge jaw.

Long ago I bought a cheap (Thompson?) pedestal for it that woks fine when traveling or camping.

I haven't been in Fly Fishers Paradise in a few years BUT that's where I went to get ALL my tools and materials when I first got into tying my own flies. They were very helpful. I got my Renzetti Traveler there probably 15 years ago. Its still going strong after thousands and thousands of flies.

MathFish wrote: I do have a base from my old vice, but the post for the Regal clamp vice is way too long to use on my base. I know I could cut it down, but I’m not ready to take a saw to my new toy quite yet.

just get a short stem from regal if you want to go pedestal

http://regalvise.com/accessories.html

Thanks for the link Nfrechet. I may get around to getting one of those shorter stems one of these days.

By the way, I have to say, I really enjoy the flies you share on the “what are you tying today” forum. You are very skilled!

Glad to hear that some things don’t change. I was trying to locate an Amish-made leather harness for my Richardson chest box. I called and they put the harness on hold knowing that I would not be traveling through the area for over a month. I offered to purchase the item via credit card, but was told that was not necessary. I guess that’s a big part of why they’ve been in business for nearly 40 years.

I remember Steve and his closet-sized shop upstairs at the old Lemont Post Office. He and the guys he's had working for him have always been helpful and encouraging and it didn't matter if you had deep pockets or if you were a broke young kid just starting out. Shops like FFP are priceless. I buy a few things on the internet (who doesn't) but always try to patronize my local fly shop whenever possible.

Swattie87 wrote:
If you run out of Sulphurs in the middle of an epic all day hatch on Spring, just make sure to take your boots and waders off before you go in to buy more.

Swattie87, are you speaking from experience? LOL

I always feel at home when I walk through the front door at FFP. Great service, knowledgeable staff and just a bunch of good guys who without exception just love to fly fish. I remember Steve's business partner Dan Shields giving me advice and even a few tips when I first started fly tying as I picked out my dry fly necks. Your experience at FFP does not surprise me it is a great fly shop.

Back