TFO rod suggestion

mushumatt

mushumatt

Hey guys!! I hope everyone is doing well. I have been off the forum for atleast 5-6 years... had some personal things come up, then moved to LA for work, now I’m back on the east coast! One of my friends can get a disgusting discount on TFO rods, but unfortunately the closest place to me that stocks them so I can try them is about 2 hours away. I’m down in WV for work. Any help or insight would be amazing!

But I am looking for a 4 wt rod for nymphing in the TFO lineup. I am not looking at the drift I don’t want to have all those sections. But I mainly fish upper savage tribs, casselman, Cumberland valley, and Centre to give you an idea, but I’m looking at:

10’ 4wt BVK
9’ 4wt Pro2
8’9 4wt finesse

BVK 10' 4wt will be you best bet for nymphing

Thank you! I know it’s obviously preference. But I wanted peoples opinions. I am picking up an Orvis Recon 4wt in 1-2 months, but this discount is too good to pass up right now.

mushumatt wrote:
Hey guys!! I hope everyone is doing well. I have been off the forum for atleast 5-6 years... had some personal things come up, then moved to LA for work, now I’m back on the east coast! One of my friends can get a disgusting discount on TFO rods, but unfortunately the closest place to me that stocks them so I can try them is about 2 hours away. I’m down in WV for work. Any help or insight would be amazing!

But I am looking for a 4 wt rod for nymphing in the TFO lineup. I am not looking at the drift I don’t want to have all those sections. But I mainly fish upper savage tribs, casselman, Cumberland valley, and Centre to give you an idea, but I’m looking at:

10’ 4wt BVK
9’ 4wt Pro2
8’9 4wt finesse

orvis recon 10' 3 wt would be an even better nymphing rod I own one and love it but I use it for everything dries steamers wets it does it all .

Oh yes I know, but as I said it’s a discount that is too good to pass up, so I am picking a tfo rod up. Probably will let my girlfriend use it this spring/summer once I have my recon. I’m looking for a rod for medium sized creeks (Tully, casselman, those size streams) for nymphing. Seeing that 95% of my fishing is nymphing.

mushumatt wrote:
Thank you! I know it’s obviously preference. But I wanted peoples opinions. I am picking up an Orvis Recon 4wt in 1-2 months, but this discount is too good to pass up right now.

If you are going for an Orvis, I'd get the Orvis 3wt Nymph Rod. I purchased it last spring and absolutely love it.

mushumatt wrote:
Oh yes I know, but as I said it’s a discount that is too good to pass up, so I am picking a tfo rod up. Probably will let my girlfriend use it this spring/summer once I have my recon. I’m looking for a rod for medium sized creeks (Tully, casselman, those size streams) for nymphing. Seeing that 95% of my fishing is nymphing.

There lies the problem. "Girlfriend" Without one of those you could buy like 50 rods. :lol:

I have the bvk 10ft 4wt and love it. I find myself fishing it more often than I thought I would. Definitely not just a nymphing stick

Thanks guys, as I said I am already decided on the recon rod. But the discount is too good to pass up, and no it’s not through a shop to the public. As far as rods, I have 4 already so it’s not like she doesn’t have options. But I’d rather her use a cheaper rod then a $1,000+ setup, since she’s still learning. She would be devastated if she broke something, not that it matters to me since they all have lifetime warranties.

Yea I understand it can do multiple things and that’s why I don’t want to get a specific “nymph” rod. I hate stringing up a new leader, tippet, and such. When I fish I’ll have 2-3 rods strung up ready to go for that stream. Even on valley I’d regularly have 2 rods strung up. Even though i really only fish 3 flies on valley. Why change when you can pull 10+ brownies from valley in a few hours! To give you an idea how I fish.

Just my opinion but I would stay away from the bvk. Would be a very poor nymphing rod, unless you were going to use it for indicators exclusively. I would look to the Professional series for a nymphing rod.

The bvk is also very prone to breaking, and in my opinion very poor quality. In 25 years I’ve broken 2 rods and both were bvk’s that were less than a few months old. Warranty is good so I got two brand new ones and promptly sold them.

timbow wrote:
Just my opinion but I would stay away from the bvk. Would be a very poor nymphing rod, unless you were going to use it for indicators exclusively. I would look to the Professional series for a nymphing rod.

The bvk is also very prone to breaking, and in my opinion very poor quality. In 25 years I’ve broken 2 rods and both were bvk’s that were less than a few months old. Warranty is good so I got two brand new ones and promptly sold them.

Thank you! That is what I’m looking for. I use indis sometime, but even then it’s either a sighter built in, or like a flies worth of poly floss. So turning over and mending line with a traditional Indi isn’t an issue for me.

The Pro 10’ 5wt may fit nicely into your lineup.

mushumatt wrote:
One of my friends can get a disgusting discount on TFO rods

Just a heads up, but you may want to consider keeping the friends discount on the DL. Many companies are starting to end their discount programs due to shop workers or "brand ambassadors" abusing the program by using their discounts for friends. None of my business, but I'm sure you don't want your friend to get in trouble over this.

timbow wrote:
mushumatt wrote:
One of my friends can get a disgusting discount on TFO rods

Just a heads up, but you may want to consider keeping the friends discount on the DL. Many companies are starting to end their discount programs due to shop workers or "brand ambassadors" abusing the program by using their discounts for friends. None of my business, but I'm sure you don't want your friend to get in trouble over this.

It’s not through a brand ambassador, or what you are thinking. By friend I meant the president of the club, which all members get. We just have to fill out the order form and give him money. An it’s shipped straight to our fly shop in town. So no one will get in trouble, and no risk of anyone getting in trouble. But it’s only offered to club members, that are students here. But I am working with the university currently and finishing my degree in the fall. I appreciate the concern, I usually do not even take up these offers/deals. But it’s just silly not too at this price point.

So I said whatever, and bought the drift rod. Pairing it with a orvis battenkill disc reel, not sure on the line yet.

Back