TFO fly rods

B

bmi2677

I busted my fly rod on Sunday. It was all my fault, I thought it would be a good idea to pick it up by the top third - you'd think after 14 years of fly fishing I'd know better.

I've been doing some research for a new rod though and have been hearing a lot of good things about TFO fly rods. They are affordable (which is very important for me right now) and seem to be quality rods. Have any of you fished them? If so, what do you think of them?

Also, any recommended models? I mainly fish for trout, but as I mentioned in a previous post, I am getting into bass fishing as well.

All opinions are greatly appreciated.

not what you'd want for bass, but imho the tfo 6'9" 1 weight finesse is a great light accurate fly rod. hope the longer, heavier ones are as good, but haven't tried one.

I have a TFO rod and love it. TICR 9' 8wt. Broke it once, and got it back in about 10 days. Lifetime warranty is one of the best in the business.

I've been meaning to check out their line for a new trout rod but haven't done it yet.

I fish the TFO pro 10' 7wt for steelhead and have no complaints. Never broke it but only hear good things about their customer service. My brother has the 8' 4wt pro model for trout and he likes it as well. Good rods for the money in my opinion.

bmi2677 wrote:
All opinions are greatly appreciated.

I owned a Finesse or a Professional or something like that for a week. The 8' 4wt. I wasn't a fan.

I own the Teeny signature 9' 8wt and 10' 5wt rods. I would buy the 10' 5wt again, but probably wouldn't bother with the 8wt if I knew now.

TFO rods, to me, tend towards stiffer, "fast" action and low aesthetics. I find neither of these to be pleasant to me. They often look boring, with lackluster attention to the little things that make a rod look special, BUT they are certainly functional. Each rod has had two uplocking nuts, spacious stripper guides, and alignment dots which are still the best idea I've ever seen on a rod. They're certainly functional rods, just kinda ugly.

Action is all for you to determine the appeal of. Our mileage will vary.

I will say that their warranty work was quick and pleasant. My 10' Teeny broke in the upper section out of the blue (I'm sure prior abuse, but who can say?). I registered it online, sent it out, and in about two weeks had a replacement in my hands.

I'd be curious to try their 1wt rod.

gfen the tfo 1w is more of a fast action rod, very good deal at $180. 4pc.

k-bob wrote:
gfen the tfo 1w is more of a fast action rod, very good deal at $180. 4pc.

I'm not surprised that its considered fast action, as that is the TFO way. Its also of no interest to me, as I like slow, willowy affairs. I'm quite taken with my Orvis Superfine 1wt.

If I had money, I'd buy a Dancraft 0wt.

I am now off-this-topic. Thank you for the input on the TFO 1wt.

Thank you so much for all your imput. In case anyone is curious I did pick up a rod today. I first went to a shop I knew had TFOs and was going to give one a cast. For some reason, however, the shop was closed.

So I headed down to International Angler. I told them my budget and they let me cast a few rods. He gave me the Echo 3 8'6" 4 weight and I fell in love (side story - the rod i broke is a scott. I bought it from a friend so i didnt think the warranty would work for me. Turns out it does so they'll ship that for me and repair it).

I took it out tonight and was flinging some streamers around with it and love the overall action. A bit more expensive than I wanted to go, but it's the first rod I ever splurged on (well, splurge for me anyway) so I'm not complaining.

Also, I held an orvis helios for the first time. I thought I was holding a ten foot feather......

fished the lefty krey series 2 wt. and consider it to throw line smoother than my custom rx7. If you are merely looking for a rod for bass, trout, and steel, I would consider a 6 wt. If not, a 7/8 for steel and bass and then a 4 or 5 for trout, unless you're a native/wild chaser, then I would purchase a stout 3 wt.

I own rod wts. in 2 (6'6), 5 (glass 8'6), 6 (9'), and 8 (9'), mostly custom, and they all find their place, hence, worth the investment.

Back