TFO BVK question

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

Bass Pro has the 6 and 7 wt on sale for 1/2 off. I have a 5 wt that I love, and was thinking about adding a rod to my collection. I have a 4 wt Orvis Access, and two 8 wts that I like.

If I wanted a rod that I could use for bass and steal head perhaps, would a 6 or 7 be best? If I wanted to fish the Delaware, is the 6 or 7 the best choice?

Your 8wts should be ideal for bass (possibly for steelhead too). I can't recommend a rod for a waterway, bc for me it depends on how and what (fly size) you'll be fishing. Someone chucking large flies or sinking lines would be better suited with a heavy rated rod, while someone quietly wading the soft edges and dropping midges in front of quiet risers would generally be suited with a lighter rated rod.

I'm not familiar with the bvk series, but from what I've heard, they're a fast rod. Depending on what you'll be doing on the Delaware, your 5wt may already be the rod to have.

I saw them on sale the other day, and would have jumped on one if I didn't just buy a 10ft 7wt. If I was buying the BVK however, I'd probably get the 9'6" 7wt simply because I wanted a rod for streamers,bass,and steelhead. If your looking for a Delaware River rod, I'd go with a 6wt, though a 5wt is fine and I never went above that when I spent 3 months fishing that system.

I like a 7 when throwing streamers for bass. That's just me though

A five weight and six weight wold be ideal for the upper delaware. The six is nice if your not fishing from a boat. That extra "umph" can help control line and help with reach casts on windy days. However I almost use a 5wt. A 6wt for me is usually the exception not the rule but if they are half price and you like tfo rods then go for it.

5wt is pretty standard for dries on the D. I do use a 6wt if it's windy or when fishing big flies (Drakes / March Browns, etc). 6wt works for smaller streamers for trout and smallies. I'll go to a 7wt with sink tips, articulated junk or big poppers for bass.

FWIW, if you can't throw it inside a hula-hoop 8-10 times at 45 feet, don't waste the gas driving to NY. You'll just get frustrated. Fishing from a boat can be a little more forgiving.

Looks to be sold out already
http://www.basspro.com/Temple-Fork-Outfitters-BVK-Fly-Rod/product/10210399/

It funny how many of you assume when he says he will be fishing the Delaware that he means the upper Delaware. It is a very long river and much more fishing is available than just the upper.

No need to be a stud caster either.

And I own an 8wt TFO BVK. Decent rod, but I am not sure where all the hype from online reviews comes from. Good for that sale price point for sure.

I feel my 8 wt is still a very light rod compared to 8 wts of years past. I use it for chucking heavy flies around here and in the FL salt. Works good for that. To me it feels more like a 6 wt. I would go heavier than a 6 if I were you, but that is just my opinion.

CLSports wrote:
It funny how many of you assume when he says he will be fishing the Delaware that he means the upper Delaware. It is a very long river and much more fishing is available than just the upper.

No need to be a stud caster either.

And I own an 8wt TFO BVK. Decent rod, but I am not sure where all the hype from online reviews comes from. Good for that sale price point for sure.

I feel my 8 wt is still a very light rod compared to 8 wts of years past. I use it for chucking heavy flies around here and in the FL salt. Works good for that. To me it feels more like a 6 wt. I would go heavier than a 6 if I were you, but that is just my opinion.

Agree I fish the tidal D and about 10 miles up from where the tide ends. Usually lots of current and lots of wind. I prefer my TFO in an 8 wt. I'm not chucking dry flies though. Im mainly chucking deceivers, clousers, sand eels, poppers and foam hoppers. I tried a 5 wt, I tried a 6 wt, skipped the 7 and went To an 8. By far the easiest to cast weighted or fluffy flies in the bigger river.

Back