Terrestrial patterns.

JustFish

JustFish

I have broken my leg and won't be able to fish until mid-summer. So.....I figured I would try some new terrestrial patterns. Anyone have any suggestions. I have all day to tie and am very very bored. Any good patterns would be appreciated.

PaulG gets pissed when I pass this one on. Try tying up some ants in the brightest orange you can find. Hareline makes an orange that is hunter's vest orange. It positively GLOWS. Get that. And then for a hackle, use a couple turns of white. And don't trim it. When you fish it, dress it well so that the fly sits nice and high. It's very visible and the trout love it. Size 18 is the best.

Thanks, I will definitely tie a couple up and try them out this summer.

Justfish...Pad ain't lying! They work. And don't forget Pauls other go to..the Crow beetle. Black deer hair bound to the hok and swung back over to the eye and bound down and clipped off like a caddis. Leave a few strands for legs. Its killer! Thats my fav.

Tie them from 12 to 18 and even mix in a few with peacock herl bodies. You won't be sorry.

Paul does well with them even bigger than that. I think he carries size 8's and 10's.

Tim B used to post here a good bit. Anyway, he used to tie a HUGE cricket pattern in orange and black. It was a size 6 or 4, but really bulky too. I don't know if the trout at Clarks thought it was something a good imitation of a bug or the opportunity of a lifetime!

Padraic,

I have to admit I would have never thought to tie an ant pattern with hunters' vest orange. I am really siked and looking forward to trying this pattern out on the Tulpohocken near my home! Do you think that bright orange antron will work?

Maurice,

I just logged on to ask how to tie a crow beetle believe it or not. I hear they are a killer on central PA streams. Although, I'll have to get some black deer hair.

Thanks guys, I actually have something to look forward to today!

Back