Terminal Loop Knots

dc410

dc410

Trying to gain some information on terminal loop knots. I am going to try to incorporate more loop knots on my tippet to fly connections, particularly on larger streamer type flies, sculpins, carp flies, smallmouth patterns etc. Basically flies fished with larger diameter tippets (8 - 12 lb. test). I am real comfortable tying on flies with a perfection loop and feel that this is a really strong loop knot and easy to tie. I was just wondering what other forum members are using for this application and the pros and cons of some different terminal loop knots that are out there. Thanks.

This is the one I've always used when I don't want to cinch the fly down tight: http://www.animatedknots.com/nonslipmono/

Never had an issue with it!

The Uni Knot does not have to be pulled all the way tight. I use it for all my flies and cinch it, but if you want to leave it loose, you can. It is the simplest knot I have found and seems pretty secure for my intents and purposes.

Thanks, Geo and Jack for the feedback. I'm kinda liking that non-slip mono knot because the tag end angles back toward the eye of the hook. The Uni-knot and perfection loop both have the tag end at a 90 degree angle to the knot. I have experienced vegetation getting hung up on the tag end of the perfection loop in the past. To have to deal with less of that would mean more fishing time. Thanks again.

wgmiller wrote:
This is the one I've always used when I don't want to cinch the fly down tight: http://www.animatedknots.com/nonslipmono/

Same one I use for streamers!

Same here. Haven't had any issues with it yet, and it's a relatively easy tie..

Thanks guys. I practiced tying a few of the non-slip mono knots and I really like the profile. They take me a little longer to tie but with some more practice I'm sure I could tie them just as fast as a perfection loop and not have to worry about fishin' the fly back through the main loop on the knot.

I use the non-slip loop knot on streamers and nymphs.

wgmiller wrote:

I use this one too... its good enough for salmon and steelhead, it will hold a trout without issue.

I like the non-slip mono loop too. I always seem to be able to remember how to tie it too, since it's just a clinch knot tied on top of an overhand knot. Pretty simple. I had never thought to try to use a perfection loop to attach a fly to tippet. I use perfection loops like I use surgeon's loops - to for a loop for loop-to-loop connections.

I also use that nonslip loop WG posted for jigging spoons through the ice....works like a mad man! Works like a champ on 12lb mono and 25lb lakers through a 10" hole!

Never bothered to mess with it on flies.

I use the same knot posted above. Have for many years. Using a loop really improves the action. Works especially well with any fly with weight on the head, dumbells, cones beads. I use it for almost all saltwater fishing. Even on bass bugs and poppers.

GenCon

Back