Large 5" sculpin pattern:

Attachments

• fun fur minnows 071.jpg
    fun fur minnows 071.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 9
  • fun fur minnows 070.jpg
    fun fur minnows 070.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 2
are we allowed to ask ? s or just admire-or would you prefer PMs?
thanks
pete

Go ahead and ask, I don't care pete. I am the controversial tyer...lol

okay-but don't get mad-just asking
appears to be a Dave whitlock style sculpin-being a avid streamer fisherman at the time he announced his line,since the mags raved about them-I rushed out and bought about ten DOZEN size 2s-and ended up s-canning about 91/2 dozen.Maybe these are an entirely different style-
have you compared them to a conventional style such as the dark spruce streamer in usage?
I found that the whitlock style required so much lead to get them down where they belong it was a poor design concept.
Why would a flat wing be better than the standard tie?
Why would that wool?/hair? head be better than a feather collar which really looks like gills in the water?
Just curious,no reflection upon your tie as I was referring to the other guys but-boy was I POed at him at the magazine writers-lol

First its not a whitlock style. This is tied from dyed fun fur that i dye. Tail is all fun fur as is the body. the way i tie them gives them flare and movement. I tied the hackles in on the sides of the tail for the mottled effect. I wrap about 10 turns of 0.25 lead to get them down. The pic is at an angle thats why it looks like it does. I'll post a few pics of it for you. would work as a sea robin pattern as well and fish eat sea robins.

thanks-30 years later I am still ticked off-lol
his were a poor design but he was one of flyfisherman's favorites so he could do no wrong-

here ya go pete different angles, remember the hook is a bend back style and hidden in the body. the point shows through the top when fished..

Attachments

• fun fur minnows 071.jpg
    fun fur minnows 071.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 5
  • fun fur minnows 082.jpg
    fun fur minnows 082.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 4
  • fun fur minnows 086.jpg
    fun fur minnows 086.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 2
thanks-
TWIMC
I asked-

I'll take a dozen Mr. Sandfly! Very nice.

you should name it Cousin It, that's what it reminded of when I first saw it.

JH

Fun fur is that the same as craft fur ?

Fredrick wrote:
Fun fur is that the same as craft fur ?

Except you giggle more while you use it.

Back