Tenkara Rod question inside

JackM

JackM

Staff member
If you take the rod for a hike in the deep woods, if you want to collapse it, do you have to remove the leader or is there some way to take the rod down to a couple feet and not be forced to coil the leader around your hand or carry it in loops? Can you partially collapse them and still fish? In other words, 10 ft. rod when you want it, 6 ft. rod when you need it. Thanks in advance.

The best solution that I have found for mine is to use a Velecro loop similar to the ones that you can buy to bundle cable. As far as the collapse to a 6 footer I hae tried that and it does not work well. It seens like I don't have much action in the rod.

Jack, this should address the line storage question.

http://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=643

If you collapse the Tenkara rod to 2 feet long, isn't your line/leader still going to be 10 feet long? How would a hook keeper help?

JackM,

Click the link above, and watch the video from first post.

All,
I have been thinking of getting one of these rods. Can you really only use 5X tippet or smaller?

flyguyfishing wrote:
been thinking of getting one of these rods. Can you really only use 5X tippet or smaller?

If you don't have an aversion to spending your money, you can use 000 cabling for tippet if you want... But using 5x or smaller assures you that your tippet snaps before the pole's top does.

I've seen one of these only once in my life, but its pretty amazing how small and delicate the end is tapered down to.

If you collapse the Tenkara rod to 2 feet long, isn't your line/leader still going to be 10 feet long? How would a hook keeper help?

Ya, watch the video. Short answer is you use two hook keepers, one at the top and one at the bottom, thus making 2ft wraps.

Video link pulled from Tenkara thread . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw5cp1ARBio

Ahhh, the video. Can't see them from work, but now I understand. Thanks.

I find myself oddly fascinated with Tenkera. Probably because I suck at casting in general. Steve Holgate from this forum is doing a presentation on Tenkera at the next Tully TU meeting for those in the Reading area that are interested.

I still can't get over the lack of reel and line. I find line management to be enjoyable, and enjoy using reels. I'll have to give it a try sometime.

I agree Jay, but if I had a Tenkara rod that tree could not have grabbed my fly three times requiring me to toss my rod across the stream.

Seriously though, Tenkara seems rather limiting. 3' arm reach, 12' rod, 12' line = 27' cast max. Got to work on those stealth approaches I guess. Of course it is pretty much touted as a small creek, backpacking, minimalist approach anyway so maybe it is no big deal.

Interesting rod, but a novelty item in my opinion. It's probably fun to play with here and there, but give me a long rod and I can do everything a tenarka rod can do... plus some... without much additional weight.

I met Steve Holgate on a camping trip to Hyner Run State Park. We got talking about flyfishing after I saw a TU emblem in his truck window. He asked me if I had ever tried "Tenkara" after I mentioned I like to fish smaller water. He then went and got his rod to show me how they worked. Then after a demo,he let me cast it. All I can say is it was SWEET.The presentation is very delicate. Makes not a ripple even on slow and/or flat water. Casting is effortless. He showed me how the rod collapes into itself when you want or need to move thru thick cover. I can see a purchase in the future for myself thanks to Steve's lesson.

I have 2 Tenkara rods a Yamame (for some heavier fish) and an Ebisu which is kind of an all around rod. I have been a fly fisher for about 30 years and have always tried to minimalize what I carry, the Tenkara style of fishing allows me to do that, I can throw a handful of flies in a small box and fish to my hearts content. WHat makes it more fun is that when you hook something it is a blast!

I wish I could get out more to use them both.

Check out the 2 Tenkara forums via google. They are both very informative.

I noticed that you posted in the Tenkara forum, even in the hook keeper thread. I am going to go out with Steve sometime and give it a shot.

gentleshepherd wrote:
I have 2 Tenkara rods a Yamame (for some heavier fish) and an Ebisu which is kind of an all around rod. I have been a fly fisher for about 30 years and have always tried to minimalize what I carry, the Tenkara style of fishing allows me to do that, I can throw a handful of flies in a small box and fish to my hearts content. WHat makes it more fun is that when you hook something it is a blast!

I wish I could get out more to use them both.

Check out the 2 Tenkara forums via google. They are both very informative.

gentleshepard,

How does it perform on a small, tight stream? (tree / brush lined stream).

Tom - The Tenkara rod best suited for those conditions is the 11' Iwana. You can borrow mine any time you'd like.

Be forewarned - you WILL want one! It does a bow and arrow cast like nothing you've ever seen before. :)

Have no fears about borrowing it - they're guaranteed for life.

Heritage-Angler, that 11' Iwana is the version Steve gave me the lesson on. I could'nt recall the model until you just mentioned it. What a sweet rod. I think a "Tenkara" flyrod might be my next flyfishing purchase. I watched Steve give me a demo on Hyner Run. He had no problems at all with the length. He showed me when you move how the rod can shortened for transport. Pretty neat!

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Tom - The Tenkara rod best suited for those conditions is the 11' Iwana. You can borrow mine any time you'd like.

Be forewarned - you WILL want one! It does a bow and arrow cast like nothing you've ever seen before. :)

Have no fears about borrowing it - they're guaranteed for life.

Thanks Ed, maybe I'll take you up on that! Can I borrow it for archery season?!? :lol:

Sure can. I have NO days off until October.
310.gif

Back