Tenkara first thoughts

JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

So I got a Tenkara rod for Christmas, been waiting a while to use it.
The brand is Wetfly, model is 12' Kodomo Creek.

First thing I found line management is a disaster when collapsing the rod to move to another spot unless you have a spool or line keeper. So there's that. They sell them where they attach to the rod which would be fine. I ended up wrapping the line around the thin box it came in to store. If you don't have something to neatly wrap the line around you just end up with a birds nest when you get to the next spot.

Other than that I was really pleased fishing with it. Roll casting is just a flick and reaching across a stream to a small pocket is no problem with the 12' rod. Once I get the line keepers I feel I will probably use the rod a lot. While I only managed to catch a nice sized creek chub I will still call that a success :)

I think on days where less is more fits the bill this is the ticket. I like the idea that you can jump out of the car with a small tin full of favorite flies and a couple ounces of rod and hike it.

I use my tenkara rods more than regular fly rods anymore. The ability to reach those unique spots with just a flick of the wrist are amazing. I have 3 different rods now. Wait until you tie into a good 12-15 inch trout they are a blast. Bluegills too!

My first thought about Tenkara involved some laughing, so I guess I should refrain from posting the rest. LOL!

Just messing with you. I can see where it would be effective, as was an old bamboo pole I used when I was a kid for bluegills.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.;-)

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
First thing I found line management is a disaster when collapsing the rod to move to another spot unless you have a spool or line keeper. So there's that. They sell them where they attach to the rod which would be fine.

Sounds kinda like a reel to me! ;-)

I too have dabbled with the concept of Tenkara for backpacking applications, but have just landed on a lightweight traditional 4 (or more) piece rod with a light reel. The ultralight idea behind it appeals to me, but the reel I use weighs way less than a beer so not too big of a deal in terms of weight, and worth it IMO to not have the line issues hiking around on the smaller streams.

Put a reel seat (and reel) on the rod and I bet its much more usable :lol:

i wish more people would take up tankara fishing

Yeah second spot I got to I had the line line wrapped up in my hand and I extended the rod and went to unwind the line whole leader was tangled.

I said a bunch of cuss words while untangling and thought these things should at least come with something to wrap the line around.

So after looking around on the web I'm off to the hardware store for some O- rings and two paperclips for a temporary solution.

would that be a "line keeper" like the old style ice fishing rods ?

e9a311ba36e1b08780b9a7149f4d17ea.jpg

I'm determined to make this work, so being the cheap bastard I am, I went the cheapest route possible. Couple O-rings and some paperclips. I couldn't be much happier with the results. The rod even fits into the tube ready to go with the leader and a fly tied on.

The knot onto the lilian at the tip of the rod only takes a few seconds so given the rod collapses down to 20 inches or less I'm going to say being able to go from completely stored to ready for action in about a minute is starting to seem more appealing now that there is no line tangling issue. I think I'm going to stick with it and see where where it works best.

Attachments

• 2017-04-12 14.18.51.jpg
    2017-04-12 14.18.51.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 2017-04-12 14.17.45.jpg
    2017-04-12 14.17.45.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 2017-04-12 14.20.51.jpg
    2017-04-12 14.20.51.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 4
Wait... Are you fishing a piece of fly line on that rod? Don't they usually recommend that you use either a straight piece of fluorocarbon, or one of those braided leader thingers that they sell? I've never seen anyone fish a tenkara rod with actual fly line.

I still have my tenkara rod. I used it a couple times and didn't care for it, mostly I think because I tend to fish smallish, brushy streams, and it's impossible to cast an 11' rod with a 10-12' leader in conditions like that. I ended up with my fly stuck 20' up a tree! And when that happens, the rod tip is so delicate that I didn't want to try to break off my tippet by pulling with the rod lined up with the snag, like I would on a conventional rod with a reel.

I still sometimes find situations when I wish I had the rod with me though. Especially on larger waters with less tree coverage. Recently my nymphs were slaying some stocked trout, but my dad couldn't get a bite on his night crawler. Once I limited out he wanted to try to fish my flies, but he doesn't know how to cast. Didn't go well. If I had had that tenkara rod with me he would almost certainly have caught some fish.

How about getting one of those loon rigging foam things and then wrap your line and flies around that when you are moving? The foam discs are not big (about the circumference of a spool of tippet) and weigh nothing. And when you are done you just unwind your flies and line and stick the foam disc in a pocket or your waist band.

Wait, so it's a Tenkara, but we're designing a makeshift reel for it?

This is almost as good as making 6 weight rods and labeling them 5 weights, then also labeling a 6 weight line as a 5 weight made to match.

But it's Japanese. Everyone knows good stuff comes from Japan.

I just wanted /needed a good way to store the line while the rod is collapsed. Like for situations where you are moving through the brush or woods a couple hundred yards. Did some searching and this is what I thought might work for me.

Being that the rod is 12' long and the leader is no more than 15ft -18 ft. For moving short distances you can just hold the line with your rod hand and hold the excess couple feet with your other hand while walking. A spool would be just fine and I've seen plenty of Tenkara gadgets online for sale. I just thought it seemed kind of cool that I could do this and have everything I need; rod, line and fly in the tube with minimal extra accessories.

mcwillja wrote:
i wish more people would take up tankara fishing

Why?

Isn't it enough of a fad yet?

'reaching across a stream to a small pocket is no problem with the 12' rod."
are cane poles legal in FFO areas?
Just kidding--I probably would be an addict also but pasteurized now.

You guys laugh all you want. Tenkara rods are NOT cane poles. I now own two and just recently fished Spring Creek with my newest purchase, a Tenkara USA "Yamame" 12 footer. I use their furled 10.5' leader. The dry fly presentations are amazing. I had a fellow who had been working a good riser in a tough spot which had a bunch of conflicting currents. He could not manage a decent drift. He told me to try and in short order the 13" brown rose without hesitation and sucked in my size 16 sulpher dry. Landed him with no problems. I bowed to the fish LOL then moved on. I outfished my two friends that night who were using conventional gear. Tenkara rods are serious fly rods. They are not toys. I did ask the fellow who let me try for the trout if he had ever heard of Tenkara- Japanese Fly Fishing. He had not. I told him about the history and techniques used in Tenkara. He was amazed. In my experience most guys who bash Tenkara have never tried it. Try it you may like it. I do! To me it is another weapon in my arsenal. If you meet me on the stream with a Tenkara rod, ask to try a few casts. You may discover the same thing I did. They are just flat out plain fun to cast and fish!

sigh

I have a buddy who only fishes Tenkara. I've tried one of his rods before. Tenkara has plenty of limitations. I'm not bashing it, but I enjoy casting a line. Plus when we smallmouth fish he can't put nearly the action into surface flies.

Back