Tenkara, again.

gfen

gfen

http://www.sourcingmap.com/352m-portable-telescopic-sections-travel-fishing-pole-rod-p-52826.html

I'm curious.

There's a pile of other ones, but this one seems to be a much closer fit than a crappie rod, I'm curious to give it a go at $9 to $150.

I don't expect it to be a "true" tenkara action, but I'd be curious to try it out and see if it works as well as, say, a $20 Eagle Claw featherlight does to a Sage. Different leagues, same sport.

There are three in stock, so I'd buy first and ask questions later.

I've got my new toy for the time being, I'm satiated.

However, I'm still looking around, there'll always be more..

I fished the type of rod shown in your link previously, and actually found I preferred the feel and function of a crappie pole. While a crappie pole feels different than a true Tenkara rod (ala Eagle Claw vs. Sage), it can be used to catch fish. There are some pictures on my web site of the crappie pole set up I used (towards the bnottom of the page) -

Fountainhead Flyfishing Blog

And if you are interested, here is another option between the two extremes you mentioned -

Tenkara Fly Fishing Rods

If you've yet to give it a try, I'd encourage you to give one of the many options available a try. All the folks I know who have given it a try find it enjoyable.

have fun,

I actually found the Fountainhead rods last night after that, and to me, $70 is a pretty reasonable entry cost.

(not that TenkaraUSA's prices are outlandish, in perspective, but for taking a random shot at it, it can be a bit heady)

Edit: I'm curious, you said that you used the crappie pole to try it out, and there were pictures of your gear at this link.. Are you the proprietier of Fountainhead?

If so, good for you on taking advantage of a growing interest in something different, and bringing out a competitor to the current leader (and, evidently, only other importer). What sort of garuntee on tip breakage/replacement do you currently have out there?

Guilty, I do sell Fountainhead Tenkara Rods.

Regarding guarantees. I'm a bit torn on that. If I offer unconditional no questions asked replacement for any breakage, I can't sell rods for $70. If you get a rod that has a manufacture defect, I'll obvious replace it, no problem (Although I do thoroughly check each rod before shipping).

If you break the rod, I'll repair or replace it for $20.

Tenkara rods are pretty tough under fishing conditions for which they are designed. If you decide to sit or fall on it, or slam it in a car door, you can break them like any other rod.

No, there's been discussions on the world of unconditional warranties lately, I know exactly why they're bad.

I did want to know that replacement pieces could be available, having to pay for them is reasonable, and $20 isn't going to break the bank to get a replacement section if you do something stupid (likely) or awesome (unlikely) to cause it to fail.

Again, continued success... Next time I get some coin burning a hole in my pocket, I'm coming your way.

Back