tell me about Chester Creek

Bocianka1

Bocianka1

I'm slowly starting to expand beyond my usual go-to spots at Ridley Creek (mostly because it's convenient). My time can be limited with picking up the kids from school and such so i usually stick close to home. However wandering though streams up in Potter County once a year gives me the bug to explore new waters and find new places to fish.

I've recently been up to Marsh Creek in a Canoe and this week i'll get a chance to see Lake Luxembourg (Core Creek Park in Langhorne, PA) in a canoe as well this upcoming Friday. SPin casting for bass at this time of the year. But thinking ahead to fall, i'm primarily looking for shore fishing and wading opportunities with my fly rod as the canoe is not mine, nor is it always convenient.

Today i glimpsed Chester Creek where it runs alongside Pennell Road in Glen Riddle and i was intrigued. Looks like good water, or it will be when the fall water temps start to drop a little. When i started trying to find out more here at the forum, i discovered that Chester Creek is also where the new Sporting Gentleman store is located, although in along a more northwestern section of the creek. Having been to the store once i remember looking over the waters and wishing to come back, but also noticing a lot of private property signs.

So can anyone tell me anything more about fishing Chester Creek? Where is a good stretch to fly fish? Where is it open to the public that i won't have to worry about private property issues? Where is a good place to park? And more importantly, is it worth the effort? I'd like to catch some trout. I tend to favor stocked trout, not just for the size of the fish but also because they tend to be placed in larger streams and not the narrow overgrown sections that just beg me to catch every bush and tree in sight. But i'm open to try anything that will get me out on the water when it comes down to it.

My skill level is somewhere between novice and intermediate.

Any help is appreciated.

-Keith-

The folks at sporting gentleman can tell you all about Chester creek. I recommend stopping in to support your local shop

Don’t have much experience with Chester Creek but have you contemplated Ridley starting at Chester Park? Holds a great amount of stocked fish that far south of Ridley Park, parking lots right at the creek and seems to hold good numbers of holdovers. Lots of riffles and pools, easy to wade and that’s the first Creek I ever caught all 3 species on one trip at. I always have success there. If it’s within striking distance, I recommend at least a look-see

Mediafly - I had a good experience with Sporting Gentleman last time i stopped in, the staff was very helpful. I'd love to pop in again (who doesn't want an excuse to go to a fly shop?!). Since SG is the farthest location along Chester Creek that i've been too i was hoping to get some info from the forum to see if i should be driving up that way in the first place or if i should be looking more toward the Pennell Road area. Time is limited so i didn't want to spend it driving up to SG if i wasn't going to be fishing that half of the creek.

JasoncC - I've hiked and fished South along Ridley Creek from the hiking trail entrance but never made it as far as where it crosses RT 1. I've never considered starting out at Chester Park and fishing Ridley in that area. Thanks for the tip, i'll look into it.

Back