Tech-packs

J55tyger88

J55tyger88

I have a William Joseph Exodus. I bought it a number of years ago because based on the specs, it should have worked as an ultralight overnight backpack for fishing/packing trips. Turns out they had a gargantuan typo in the sizing - the initial claim was 3000 cubic inches of storage, since corrected to 1100 cubic inches in later models and marketing literature. I ended up keeping it but find I don't use it much.

Instead, I combine a smaller chest pack with a regular old hiking backpack (GoLite Jam or Gregory Savant). I can store far more in the backpack and the combo works for day trips, and overnight trips. I can ditch the backpack when I reach my camping spot and keep fishing with just the chest pack, without having to lug the extra backpack along for the rest of the afternoon/evening. This setup also allows you to haul out 45 pound logging era artifacts, if you happen to stumble on them ;-)

Just my personal preference - I'd rather have a few pieces of versatile gear, that I can mix and match to get the combo I want for a lot of different scenarios. And my current setup cost less than half the Fishpond wildhorse. But depending on the exact scenario you have in mind and if you have the budget for it, one of the fishing packs you list could work just fine.

i have both the rapid river and the wasatch. The rapid river will hold more in the vest section but the wasatch has more backpack room. I had to adjust some of my boxes to fit in the wasatch but it was nice if I wanted to hold a water bladder and a rain coat plus have some more room in the backpack. The rapid river is also nice with the waist belt. That really takes the weight off of your shoulders if you're fishing all day with the pack. That said if I were to decide between the 2 I would probably go with the rapid river.

I would take a look at the Fishpond Savage Creek Chest Pack and match it with the Fishpond Black Canyon Backpack. The chest pack can be used with the backpack or without. That way if you get to a spot you plan on fishing for a while you can ditch the backpack and carry a lighter load. A versatile set up.

Also the Umpqua Overlook 500 or Tokettee Vest with their backpack makes a great combo too.

If I had to choose the ones you listed I would choose the Fishpond Wildhorse....I am just a big Fishpond fan.

Rapid River would be my choice. I have a Fishpond Wildhorse...it's heavy and bothers my shoulders after carrying it all day. I have friends who have the Rapid River and the waist belt appears to make a huge difference in comfort.

The waist belt on any pack, be it fishing or backpacking, makes a huge difference in your comfort. There is a big difference between a belt that circles your waist and snaps shut (basically to keep the bottom of the pack from flapping around) and a waist belt that is designed to actually bear the load of the pack and efficiently transfer that load to your hips. Even a ten pound pack can get heavy and cause some extreme discomfort after a day of carrying it. You do not want to carry the weight on your shoulders.

Thanks for the input!
Steven, yeah i can tell u got a thing for fishpond gear. I had their gore range vest but got out of it.
Nick, I think maybe your right, the wildhorse might be too big. Im talking day long trips, thats it. No overnight camping or anything.

Im gonna try some stuff at NJ fly show.

If you have the $$$$ to spend I would really check out the Umpqua set up for day long. The backpack has just the right storage for day long trips for food, rain gear, extra rods and reels. The chest pack would then hold your fishing essentials. Would be pricey but work great and give you a modular set-up.

Fishpond has a similar set-up with their Savage Creek Chest Pack and ***** Creek Backpack. I actually like the Fishpond Backpack more than the Umpqua, but I like the Umpqua Chest Pack for than the Fishpond....check them all out at the show! I will be there all day Friday!

Back