Talk About Another Washout

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

I redid the spreadsheet for Penns Creek 2017, 18, and 19. This is the USGS flow plot for the months of April and May. I did the cutoff at 550CFS instead of 600. Even at 550, it can be dangerous to wade Penns. This April and May, only 9 days of the 61 were below 550. June is not looking good either.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 7.30.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 7.30.34 PM.png
    84.8 KB · Views: 3
Another way to view it is, this data spanned 9 weeks. That means, on average we had 1 day to fish per week in April and May.

Was on Penns Sunday am. Flow at 525, but it was brown. :( Saw lots of bugs and didn't see one rise from 6:30am till noon.

Nice graph and data analysis. That really helps to put things into perspective. While that flow is "bad" for us fisherfolk, I'm not so sure it's necessarily bad for the waterways. If you think of the reverse condition, I think we'll all agree that we'd much rather have too much water than not enough!

Rain to me equals huge Browns. Rising cloudy water and dropping clearing water were times when i scored some really nice fish. I'd bet those creeks still hold biguns. GG
If you ask,Ii'll give you a crick or 2.

Sunday was the best day for me. Pennypack water levels were high, however you could see bottom where I was fishing at. Caught a bunch of sunnies, and rockbass and one small mouth.

This time of the year I normally don't see or catch any stockies.

The Pennypack? The trout in there are all dead by after the first heat wave. As I type thIs amidst another heat wave, I’m sure the trout are all boiled enough to eat straight from the water.

Jason: The week prior, I saw several that were really skittish.

I was watching the news the other day and Philadelphia is closing in on almost 12" of rain over the average for this time of year.

Allentown more than likely has already accumulated the 12"above the average. They were only a fraction of an inch when posted on the news.

One part of me says drats, and the other says it's better than a drought. I went through the Southern Calif drought 75-78. To be limited on water consumption at a drastic level was an eye opener for sure. My family tried to cut back as much as possible when it first started. Tried to get ahead of the game sort of speaking. However when they threatened fines if we didn't decrease even more it was darn right scarry. I remember 1978 I was taking my showers at my HS during the week and just a wet cloth at home on weekends.

Nice graph, it just seems like we can't get away from storms. Like the others have said it's better than drought though

Back