Taking advantage of the rain.

T

Troutmeister

I was out a few times the last couple weeks. Two of those trips were during or after rain muddied up the streams. Those two days turned into fantastic days on the water with personal bests on numbers of trout caught in those streams and biggest brown caught in one of the creeks (unstocked jump across creek.) The other creek is stocked but holds a lot of wild fish. Yesterday I had over 40 fish with about half being wild browns.

Anyone else out there taking advantage of the higher flows or off color water?

Attachments

• 20230614_163158.jpg
    20230614_163158.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 20230614_170048.jpg
    20230614_170048.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 76
We've had some rain, but I think a lot of larger streams are starting to inch up in water temp and I'm not sure that I feel comfortable fishing them at this point. Tried a little brookie stream on Friday, but even with the recent rains, it was damn near bone dry and not worth fishing.

nice browns! i tried this morning by me but the water was a bit merky. plus others were fishing. came home and tied flies all afternoon. next weekend is a 4 day weekend for me so im hoping to fish 3 of the 4 days.

Last edited:
I went out this past Friday to a local stocked stream as the creeks were starting to gain water. Took six trout, all stocked (obviously). 5 browns and a bow (final fish). They weren't pretty fish, most appeared to have had their fins rubbed off, but it's something. I took 4 browns on a light pink beaded Sexy Walt variation (size 16), and a brown and a bow on a highlighter yellow mop, which is usually the final fly I tie on when nymphing for trout. I don't know what it is about the Walt variant I am fishing, but the trout just can't stay away from it! I lost my last one that day too, broke off the whole rig because my indicator was positioned below my tippet ring. I was running through a shallower area when fishing this rig. I could steel see my fluorescent orange indicator swaying under the lightly stained water after I broke off. I thought I'd leave it in the creek and come back and get it but by the time I went back to that spot I could no longer see the indicator.

I went out this past Friday to a local stocked stream as the creeks were starting to gain water. Took six trout, all stocked (obviously). 5 browns and a bow (final fish). They weren't pretty fish, most appeared to have had their fins rubbed off, but it's something. I took 4 browns on a light pink beaded Sexy Walt variation (size 16), and a brown and a bow on a highlighter yellow mop, which is usually the final fly I tie on when nymphing for trout. I don't know what it is about the Walt variant I am fishing, but the trout just can't stay away from it! I lost my last one that day too, broke off the whole rig because my indicator was positioned below my tippet ring. I was running through a shallower area when fishing this rig. I could steel see my fluorescent orange indicator swaying under the lightly stained water after I broke off. I thought I'd leave it in the creek and come back and get it but by the time I went back to that spot I could no longer see the indicator.

Well it seems they're nuts about the one I used that had the pink bead. It looks different than the ones pictured above, a little sparser of material and it's a light gray color. Even compared to other variants of the same pattern in my box this one seems to get more attention. It could be related to the fact that is resembles a pellet. The trout I have been targeting have probably been in the creek for about two months, which would give them ample time to adapt and start eating real food. Last I fished this creek was the 7th of May, but there were definitely more trout in the creek when I fished it last week. This creek usually gets a shot of browns sometime in May. I may go out there and try and get that rig back if it hasn't washed downstream as I really want that fly back.

Not saying the fish are reacting to my fly because it is just an effective pattern and I've "dialed them in", but this particular nymph just seems to work well.

Back