Tactics for ice out?

N

No-nameCreek

Would the right way to fish right after the ice comes off and the creek is blown out the same as regular high water streamer FF? Or does the colder snowmelt make the fish stay deep and lethargic? How do you guys do it? Normally I wait 'till it clears up, but I gotta get out there this week!

Snowmelt will turn them off for sure. I'd fish the margins with big flies. Stonefly nymphs are a good choice for nymphing the edges of the faster water, but I like the versatility of a dark bugger. They will take it for a stonefly, but you can mix up the presentation if not.

As the ground thaws and saturates, the streams will take on a lot of earthworms. I noticed them this weekend while fishing. Worm patterns always work well if that's your kinda thing.

I think the ice out deserves a slow fishing approach. My first choice would be larger hairier nymph with a tandem size 16 stonefly nymph. My second choice would be either of the first two with an egg pattern. My third choice would be a size 4 – 8 streamer. I’ve found that the lethargic fish in water temperatures below 40 degrees can’t resist a big meal.

I got out yesterday and caught a few fish that hit a stripped streamer in 36 degree water. Both fish shared the same run and competition for the big meal was probably the result. I would not strip streamers all day at this temp but it worked in that run. I change presentations more often in ice out on a fish holding run than any other time. Change flies and approach often to fish each run thoroughly.

Back