tackle bag

• Thread starter BlkLgbEaDheAd09
  • Start date
BlkLgbEaDheAd09

BlkLgbEaDheAd09

been looking for a cross chest/sling tackle bag i can use while wet wading for WW fly fishing. ive been looking around at a few models and i am undecided. i have a chest rig that i use for trout fishing and it works great, but i think a sling bag will suite me much better for this purpose. was wondering if anyone uses one, which model, and how they like it. what do you guys recommend?

I've been using an orvis sling pack this summer for ww fishing. I also use it when I am in and out of my sit on top kayak ww fishing. It works well, holds a box or two of flys and everything is very secure. I had hoped to use it for trout but I don't think it is roomy enough. Also, it hangs pretty low and will get wet when wading to waist. It works well when you want to travel light.

yeah i would definetly buy one that it waterproof, or at least one with a water proof bottom for wading. i too would be using it while drifting in my kayak. needs to have enough room for a fairly large fly box, some spools of tippet, some large forceps, a knife, and maybe a few other things.

I have the orvis sling pack....whenever I wade deeper than my waste I just pull it so the pack sits higher towards my shoulder.....

You can adjust it to sit loosely over the shoulder or more snug higher up...I fit three boxes, more tippet and leader material than necessary for the year, a water bottle, leatherman, two floatants (ginks and frogs fanny), sighter material, bag of assorted thingamabobbers, sinkers, biodegradeable indicator stuff, and usually a cliff bar or two. It starts every trip organized but by the end the assorted pieces are usually just in the large compartment.

I got it soaked earlier this year when I went for a swim at penns but I layed it in the sun for a half hour and it dried well.....I would recommend waterproof fly boxes

I use the Simms sling pack and like it a whole lot. Pros: The strap is very comfortable on the shoulder and it's got loads of pockets of ample size to fit most everything you might want to carry. Cons: I actually wish it were a little smaller.

hmm thanks darryl, i was looking at that one, reading reviews, and comparing it to other models but i wasnt sure if it was worth the cost being as its one of the more expensive ones i was looking at.

Your welcome. Like it said, I do really like it a lot and it'll definitely hold everything you need. I'm not certain if any of the online photos show it in detail, but there's two small flap pockets in the front (perfect for holding commonly used stuff like split shot, floatant, indicators, etc.), in the main compartment there's enough room to accommodate 6 of the medium (M) size C&F boxes or four of the large waterproof ones and there's also mesh pockets on the inside walls that are perfect for storing tippet spools, leaders, etc. The only thing I really don't like about it is that it is a bit large as I usually only carry a few fly boxes. Hope this info helps.

dang that is awful roomy. that one will probobly be the best choice for me. i always carry alot of extra stuff. it sucks, but i cant help myself but ot be overly prepared for anything. must be an Army thing. the price isnt what i was thinking either, i was thinking of the simms dry creek pack wich is kinda pricey. but 69 bucks aint too bad. do you ever have problems with things getting wet inside? and also do you use the waist/hip strap with it, and if not, does it ever get in the way? thanks again man!

If you are interested, I have a Simms Pack, which seems to meet your specs, that I am willing to sell at a very reasonable price.

Attachments

• Simms Pack.jpg
    Simms Pack.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 4
RichFishbelt,
Thank you very much for the offer! i cant seem to find that actual pack online anywhere. is it an actual sling pack, or is it a chest pack?

Back