synthetic quill body materials

flipnfly

flipnfly

ok im sitting here tying and i was wondering what are some of the synthetic quill body materials that you guys use are some better than the others? especially pertaining to dries i guess what advice im looking for is what quill material is the easiest to work with and is tough also that does not require me sitting here using a pencil eraser to strip peacock quills and then soak them all to tie a size 16 or 18 fly..... adivce and or guidance is much appriceated

I use my chewed off finger nails to stil peacock quills not an eraser much easier. You can use any feather stem for a quill body match color to meet your needs.

Then again I prefer all natural material.

I have been told you can soak the herl in bleach to get rid of the hairs and then keep them in a jar of water when needed.

hmm sounds like thats worth trying would that be straight bleach or a dilution?

If you use bleach, be ready with water and baking soda to rinse it, it only takes a few second. If you keep it in to long there isn't going to be anything left. I do the whole peacock eye.

Wild boar,porcupine and moose mane make great looking quill bodies

I use moose mane on Trico bodies, but the last time I tied them the hair would break just when I was ready to tye it off. Guess I need to soak them, they're getting old and dry. I switched to thread at the time.

I like Spanflex. You can also try ultra hair- similar to Charlie Craven's Juju method.

In this video the guy says to use 50% bleach and 50% water.

http://www.youtube.com/user/scflytying#p/u

I use this; no smelly bleach

Attachments

• tyvek_014.jpg
    tyvek_014.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 3
jrcll gave me an alternative quill body material last year at the JAM. He swears by them. I haven't tied any yet but you don't have to soak them and they're pretty durable according to him. He can either chime in, or I can look at the package he gave me later when I get home. He orders them from someplace out west I believe.

these are what ryan is talking about , i use them quite a bit , i get them from freestone flies in wy, they come in large size for flies size 10-16 and small size 18-24 and in 14 different colors

Attachments

• 054.JPG
    054.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 055.JPG
    055.JPG
    599.1 KB · Views: 3
Jim, do you still get the segmented look from them? I really like quill bodies for small parachute flies, but I'm not fond of breaking quills while tying them.

peace-tony c.

tony, yes it makes a very nice segmented body, hope you can see it on this pic

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 4
well it looks like i have some experimenting to do thanks for all the ideas and advice ill definatly be trying the moose mane but i also want to try the McLeans and sandfly's quillz

I prefer to use natural materials and stripped and dyed turkey flats make great quill bodies. They are not as brittle as stripped hackle quill.

The Cream Variant in the Picture below was tied about 35 years ago, the picture was taken today. I use a stipped cream hackle quill that I soaked over night. You can lacquer them after you wrap them on the hook for more durability ( I don't believe I lacquered this one).

Attachments

• IMG_6941.JPG
    IMG_6941.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 3
Back