Switzerland Part 2

pcray1231

pcray1231

I'm currently in Switzerland (on business) and got a day to fish yesterday.

Some of you may remember that I did this in 2013 as well, and here's the thread about that old adventure:

First Switzerland Trip

Well, same deal here. Hired the same guide as well. Except, it's spring. As such, the high mountain streams are raging with runoff, and other trouty options all have drawbacks, plus I had the wrong day of the week (in Switzerland can only fish certain species on certain days). So, we went after a new species for me. Barbel.

Barbel are a coarse fish species (like carp and suckers), but are a popular sport fish in many areas, prized for their fight, and some ppl are "promoting" them as freshwater bonefish. They inhabit highly oxygenated waters like salmonids, and hold very much in the current. They are difficult to see in the water, but this was largely a sight fishing adventure, followed by rolling nymphs at them, which they readily take when all is well.

We were successful in catching multiple barbel. More pictures will come (the guide took most of them on a gopro, and I don't have them yet). So below is just a primer to give you the scene from my own camera. This is "lowlands" in Switzerland, lol. And yes, it was quite an interesting hike down and back up from this canyon!

As for the famed fight? Well, they are largish sucker sized and MUCH more powerful, and they don't give up like a sucker either. They didn't seem "fast" to me. It was very much a steelhead fight without the initial run. You struggle to move it out of the current initially, then try keep it in the same pool, and they take about 10 "last" runs as you're trying to land them.

Oh yes, there are indeed brown trout in this stream. We did not encounter any.

Attachments

• IMG_0530 (460x345).jpg
    IMG_0530 (460x345).jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 9
Clearly, Pascal learned a painful lesson trying to keep up with the "PA Mountain Goat" up in the mountains.

Looks like flatland, compared to last trip.

Have fun, stay safe, and don't over do it lifting those barbells. ;-)

barbel are awesome fish.

they are in most UK rivers and like to frequent weirs, mill pools, hatch pools etc and fast running deep water - the English call them the freshwater bonefish.

czech nymphing has been popular for them for a a number of years.

they are named after the barbels each side of their mouth, which pick up vibrations in the water - fish, shrimp etc :
river22_02_07_2011_5lb_2oz.jpg

they are probably the 2nd most prized freshwater fish in the UK after Salmon.

a good fish is around 8lb, but they go to 20lb almost.

cheers

Mark.

I landed 6, though 2 were foul hooked, albeit I think they were trying to hit in the process of the foul hooking.

I'd guess 5 of those 6 were 5-8 lbs. One was smaller.

As I said, many more pics and perhaps video are to come next week. This was just a teaser. The gopro was active and Pascal has to upload it all to a server for me to get.

All caught on beadhead nymphs, mostly pheasant tails, size 16ish.

There were 3 maylflies actively hatching. I don't know if the species are the same, but in PA without batting an eye I'd call them BWO (baetis variety), lots of March Browns, and a few sulphers. The bottom was swimming with nymphs..

And Ed, I ain't no mountain goat anymore. Gettin old and out of shape (well, round is a shape I guess). I still go everywhere, just a bit, umm, slower.

Pascal is a Swiss guy who lives in the Alps. Trust me, I wasn't the fast one!

And lowlands it may be, but that was a heck of a canyon. Deep and steep. Scary going down and exhausting climbing back out.

Ok, pic time. I have a bunch of video too, but photobucket is limited to 500 mb files. May have to do some editing. But here's the still pics.

http://s58.photobucket.com/user/pcray1231/slideshow/Switzerland%202015

Awesome looking stream and area.. I'm jealous!

Great pix! Thank you for sharing. I am likely heading there soon so I might be reaching out to you for info.

Very nice scenery and fish.

GenCon

Very nice Mr. PC,

Scenery reminds me a lot of our beloved state. :)

Sweet! Beautiful stream

Wondering were you've been..Switzerland ,The montana of Europe---
lucky man,have fun Pat and don't work too hard...
Sounds like the barbells are kissing cousins of grayling--interesting as a curiosity to the unfamiliar butt knot something to dream about.. as I mentioned before ,tail hooked large suckers are the freshwater bonefish ...

Awesome! Beautiful stream, and some beastly looking fish. Looks like a good time. Thanks for sharing.

Very nice PC! May have to add that species to my already too long bucket list of feesh I'd like to catch.

Great Photos, thanks for sharing!

Back