switching line weight on a rod

A

awalker1953

First time poster here. So go easy on me, because this might be a dumb question.

what does changing up the line weight do for the action of the rod? when is it a good idea to do it?

Edit: made an error. This is the wrong section and I can't move it.

-Aaron

awalker1953 wrote:
up the line weight do for the action of the rod? when is it a good idea to do it?

The action doesn't change. (Although some people will try to tell you it does).

Your rod will simply cast as though a longer length of line is outside of the tip guide.

If you have a rod that seems too stiff (not the same thing as action) for it's designated line weight, a heavier line will put more load on the rod and flex it deeper. (Still not changing action, just the amount of load we've place on the rod)

Over lining can be useful when fishing very close distances. You will load the road more effectively with less length of line out due to greater line weight and the greater mass of the line will also turn over a leader and fly easier with a given length of line out of the tip guide. For example you are fishing for brookies with a 3wt and only casting with 10-15 feet of line out of your rod tip, a 4wt line on your 3wt rod might be easier and more effective rig to fish than a 3wt with a 3wt line.

Kev

P.s. And not, using the "wrong" line won't mess up your rod.

I have a 5wt that I use 6wt line on regularly and a 6wt that I use a 5wt line on. There's no 'right or wrong way' to do it. By experimenting, you might find that it suits your use or personal casting preferences better. Good luck.

Also keep in mind that there are lines out there like Scientific Angler's GPX, or Airflo's Exceed, that are rated half a line weight heavier, making a 5.5wt line, etc.

Both are great lines, btw. The Airflos last forever.

Thanks for the info guys!

Back