Switchin nymphs and switchin spots

P

PATroutMan

I was fishing muddy creek today and thought to myself how much I lack changing nymphs. I always seem to be switching up spots more than anything else if I am not hooking into anything.

I like to run tandem flies so I think a lot has to do with just being lazy since it is so much easier to walk up or downstream a bit and chuck the same nymphs over and over.

Curious to see how often you all change your pattern up vs switching up the spot...

I think of this a lot. When I'm fishing for steelhead or smallies and I use the same fly/streamer for an hour or two and don't get a hit I wonder if the fly/streamer is wrong or there just isn't any steelhead or smallies in the stretch I'm fishing. I'll usually fish with it a little longer. Sometimes I end up hooking up and sometimes I change.

Don't know if I have too much patience or too stubborn to change sooner.

The only times I switch is if one is beat up pretty bad.

It's definitely not me...its the fish, right?

But seriously, I typically target the actively feeding fish. They don't want what I have in the first 5 good cast/drifts, then I'm moving on.

I also rarely change my flies. I'll fish the same basic patterns and if its not working I'll move onto a different stretch. Now there are occasions where I know a spot will have fish and I'll change but its not that often. I have my confidence flies that I know work and rarely stray from them in most places.

I usually mess around with adding/subtracting split shot, before changing flies or spots.

And remind myself to slow my fishing down, fish more walk less.

There are many different factors that influence this for me but I will try to piece together the main ones. Let me start with order of adjustments I make when nymphing; depth, speed then fly. For me changing nymphs isn't about finding that magic fly. It's about giving the trout something different to look at than my last cast. There is such a variety of food underneath that the drift is the most important thing imho.

Given the right situation I would prefer to hike through a river system and not change flies. Things that I look for to fish this way are good to high flows, water temps above 46, uncrowded river, fish that aren't "spooky", good fisherman cover and a stream with plenty of fishable water. When I have all these things on a stream I am going to cover a ton of water. I feel comfortable that the fish are spread out and can be in every type of water (riffle,pool, pocket etc). Like I said this is my favorite way to fish, I love being on the move.

When some of these conditions go against me I will change the way I fish. The situations that happen the most are the low or cold water. When the temps go down below the mid 40s I tend to catch most of my fish in the same type of slower water. This ends up eliminating most of the stream as less productive water. The same thing happens when the water is really low. Many of the the normal hiding spots leave the trout vulnerable to predators. The trout end up stacked up in the deepest areas that are safe. In these situations I will fish each prime section really hard. I will make multiple fly changes and many different kind of drifts. It always amazes me how changing from a red zebra midge to a black will catch a trout's attention on the first cast.

Obviously a lot of this depends on you knowing the system. If it's my first time or it's still new I would probably just go exploring with the same two flies.

Some of the best fly fishing advice I was ever given was when one of my fly fishing mentors told me "change fish not flies".

Specifically in regard to nymphing, usually it's just a depth adjustment that's needed between spots. The same stuff is drifting in the water at those different spots, but at different speeds. Barring any obvious hatch or caddis drift activity.

Back