Switch v. Spey

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

I know that Cabela's rods have mixed reviews on here based on durability and the like, but I do have a few questions regarding some updated models of the TLR and LSI switch/spey.

Has anyone seen/used the new TLR 11' 7 weight or the 11'6" 7 weight. Is there that much difference in the 6" of these rods?

Also in the LSI series, anyone use the 10"6/11'/or 11'6" 7 weight and what are the benefits/differences of each of these lengths in the switch series.

To fish the Salmon River, would I be better with a switch or get the 12'6" 7 weight LSI spey? I spey casted at the Fly Fishing Show and casted a 13' 8 weight with Walt and I really liked it. Casting a switch seems even easier but I am up in the air. I do not want to spend a lot of money on a rod that I will use less than a half-a-dozen times per year.

Since I live a little over an hour from Cabela's, if I were to pick one up, and had a problem, they would replace it with a short road trip drive and an excuse to visit Cabela's.

Thanks for your help, answers, and awaited sarcasm! :p

based on figures I just made up for this response, 74% of great lakes trib anglers prefer a switch rod over a spey rod.

I used a 9' 6wt trout rod in the upper fly zone (SR).... didn't have issues casting steelhead junk or fighting them. The prior day fished down river, the flows were higher and have to believe a switch rod would have been a better tool.

the answer to this question would be - how often are you going to swing either sinking lines/heads and big heavy flies or both together ?

a switch or spey rod will help you get the line out better than a single handed rod, and of course you can recast without stripping if thats your thing.

if you're just nymphing or 'egging' on a short line mostly a 9' rod will be fine.

i have a 13ft 9wt that i use for stripers & andronomous species and I love it for creeks 40ft wide and more. which might be overgunning it, until you get that one hot fish that you can't follow but you know is going to be a fish of a lifetime.

i've already lost a 30lb+ striper (from the shore) and a 20lb+ Atlantic Salmon both due to be being undergunned.

so if in doubt I go over. maybe thats just me though...

A spey rod and spey cast is for casting distance in situations where you have little room for a backcast using a traditional overhead cast. It is not a practical fishing tool if you will be fishing within 60 feet. If fishing open water, I personally would rather throw a two-handed overhead cast than a true spey cast so this kind of defeats the purpose of the longer spey rod. A spey rod is a beast to try and throw single-handed.

A switch rod is a compromise and will probably cast better with a two-handed overhead cast than a spey cast. It will also be easier to use single-handed and overhead casting using a double haul and fish at much closer distances. I do not like the shorter head switch lines, I would go with a scandi compact head instead.

If the reason for wanting this rod is distance casting and no room for backcasts, get the spey rod and spey cast.

If most of the time you have room for a backcast, get the switch and load it with a scandi compact head and running line. Another alternative for this situation would be a single-handed 8wt rod that you then overline with something like Rio Outbound or Airflow Striper Coldwater in 10wt (these lines are integrated one-piece heavy head/running line) or load it with a 475 to 500gr scandi compact head and 100 foot running line. This will be easier to use in close situations and you should easily be able to reach out to 80-100 feet with either line setup. The benefit of the scandi head setup is you can change heads stream side and not need to carry extra spools or reels for a full one piece line.

I hope this helps. Sorry for no sarcasm.

How exactly do you want to fish this proposed two hander? This is really a can of worms. There are long, mid, and short belly spey lines (that do require ample room behind you for a proper D-loop), scandi style tapers, Skagit style heads for PNW style casting, and everything in between. If you're planning on casting the rod two handed a longer rod is easier to use than the switch-length rod. If you want to fish eggs and nymphs too I'd look at an 11 footer. Casting these rods overhead is an effort. 11' is my limit for that. I like to keep one reel with a scandi head for swinging and another with a weight forward floater for regular nymphing. The options are unlimited so it makes it difficult to choose a setup.

I have no experience with the Cabela's rods.

Bass,

It's not necessary to have a 2 hander for the SR. You can do just fine with a 9' -10' fly rod. If you are going to get up there a good bit and fish during high water conditions, you may consider getting one of these as an "option" in addition to a regular fly rod.

To be honest, I don't have enough experience with this stuff to even make sense. Scandi, skagit, long belly, heads, blah, blah. I also considered looking into one of these but it's too complicated for me and I've been fishing one handed for too long to change. Good luck.

As long as we're talking about spey rods I have a line question. What's the best spey/switch lines...? I bought a spey rod and I have some over weighted RIO Gold line laying around, but I think I might need some more specialized line. I read a review RIO's Switch line and it looks promising... but a guy at Cabela's told me that Speydicator is better. Both lines have good reviews, as you can see... so I'm leaning toward RIO over Airflo since I've used them a lot in the past.

So what do you guys think???

johnstevens5462 wrote:
It is not a practical fishing tool if you will be fishing within 60 feet. .

about 70% of my spey fishing is within 60ft. again, it must be just me, but the line management is way easier on a spey rod rather than SH rod.

clickclack - go to the Rio site, there is a chart there that matches specific rod models to their range of lines.

there is no 'one' best line, it depends on your casting style, ability and the fishing you want to do.

go to your local fly store and try out some lines with your rod - or buy one used on spey pages, which due to the individuality of rods and casters means there are hundreds of lines for sale there.

Click,

You don't want to use that Rio Gold on that sort of rod. Sort line design is waaay different than typical fly line.

Back