switch rods

CathyG

CathyG

Does anyone use switch rods? I'm seriously thinking about getting one. The only thing holding me back is lack of time to do much fishing. I changed jobs a few months ago to try to change that but since then the rivers seem permnently blown out.

I've been researching and I'm thinking about a Redington Dually II in a 7 wt with Rio Switch Chucker line. Then I have to get tips (probably MOW).

My thinking is bigger water for trout and smallmouths and maybe steelhead on Ontario tribs. If not for steelies I would probably go with a 6 wt.

Any advice?

Steelehead: Yeah on larger water, go for it. This is where they hold their own.

Bass: Meh. Gimme a 9' 6,7,or 8wt.

Trout: Borderline novelty and then only worthwhile on certain waters at certain times. If I had to use one for trout I'd probably choose one of thew lighter line weights. A 6wt switch rod is a pretty heavy trout rig.

You really need to be into and dedicated to two handed techniques and swinging flies for it to be worth it. And frankly, if you just fished with swtich gear, you are probably going to catch far fewer trout and bass than you would otherwise in almost every situation. It is worthwhile on bigger steelhead water where you need to cover a lot of similar looking water and fish are few or well spread out. Also, you can always swing flies with conventional fly gear while still using sink tip set ups. This works just fine on larger trout and bass water and even in a heck of a lot of great lakes steelhead situations.

Why not a shorter switch rod? Beulah platinum 6wt 10’4” switch rod. Or 5wt 10’0”. You could single or double hand. Nymph or swing. Scandi or skagit. Use for Great Lakes steelhead, trout, bass, etc. there’s an opst video of a guy using the 5wt to catch pretty big rainbows in Alaska with it...should be able handle erie steelhead. You can find them on eBay used for a pretty decent price. I’ve recently gotten into switch rods and of the several fly shops I’ve talked to about lines no one has recommended the switch checker line. All prefer opst integrated or sa spey lite skagit/scandi if you are looking to shoot line. Or a double taper or a long belly line if you are looking to just roll cast. I have an 11’0” and a 10’0” switch rod and single hand casting the 11’0” for extended periods is no fun. But will say two hand casting is a ton of fun. I say go for it...once you get dialed in you’re gonna love it.

Thanks for the feedback.

I checked out the OPST website. They have kits for a skagit setup on a single hand fly rod.

A lot to think about.

I have an 11'-3" Redington switch with a skagit head and OPST running line that I use on the Salmon. I like it for swinging, but it does not get any use outside of that river for me and there are many times where swinging flies is not the most productive means especially when the water gets too cold or high. It is a fun toy though.

I have the same outfit you are thinking about. My reasons for getting it were the same as yours. It also allows me to cast to places I could not get to without wading into dangerous water for me.
Once you learn the different types of casting it is a lot of fun. Just get and intermediate head to start with. I have all the others but the intermediate is the best use IMHO.

Back