Swimming Green Drake Nymph

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
I've been experimenting lately with designing a series of "swimming" nymphs - that it to say nymphs that exhibit my preferred realistic appearance but that also perform in the water in a natural way.

I've got scuds and ISO nymphs working well. Here's the green drake....

Attachments

• GD26.JPG
    GD26.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 17
Is that your fly in the video? If so, it looks great. It looks great anyway but really swims well in the video.

fly_flinger wrote:
Is that your fly in the video? If so, it looks great. It looks great anyway but really swims well in the video.

Yes, that's the fly in the video.

I usually try to get video of my flies in a natural stream environment but in this case I used a white basin for convenience and visibility. Many flies look great in the vise but, when actually immersed and drifted or retrieved, don't look natural.

Thanks for the compliment.

That looks really good and swims well too. It's nice seeing them in the water moving around and it tends to show imperfections sometimes too. My dubbing was loose on a steelhead nymph and after one fish and about twenty casts there was small pieces coming off lol

I posted this video for tying a GD nymph a while back and tied some up. I agree, the swimming action of the nymph is the key with GD patterns rather than the stiff as a board type flies

Man thats nice!

Wow. That is a nice fly. I think I'd have to swim out into the stream and try to retrieve that one if I snagged it on the bottom.

Really nice fly. Likely would work when the trout are really picky. OTOH, I've been sticking to the old tried 'n true patterns that are not difficult to tie up. After all.....I just wanna catch the dumb ones!!!

Back