Swatara location?

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

Since I need the practice casting, I was thinking of heading to the Swatara tonight to see if I could catch some bass. Is there a better location to try than by Hoffer park in Middletown? What should I throw

You can go above the gap and catch some trout. Just saying.

Where is that? Not great at finding locations

Where is that? Not great at finding locations

I believe that bass season is closed in that area until June 15. Susky fro.sunbury to holtwood and 1-2 miles up each feeder. Targeting them isn't even allowed or that's my understanding. Go higher near fiddlers elbow or Hershey.

Thanks. I was thinking I could try to catch something. May have to find a good location just to play.

I read the distance is 1/2 mile up feeder streams. I forgot where I read that. Main stem Suskie and Juniata.

Just North of the Junction of I 78 and I 81, where I 81 goes through Blue Mountain.Swatara Gap

beeber2 wrote:
I read the distance is 1/2 mile up feeder streams. I forgot where I read that. Main stem Suskie and Juniata.

Maybe here?

I think the standard for bass in the off-season would be the same idea that exists for fishing wild trout streams outside the extended season. It's legal to fish in streams that have bass year-round, but you have an immediate obligation to return any bass caught to the water unharmed. There is a strict liability which you incur, in that any fish that is not immediately released after caught, or that expires as a result of you catching it would put you in violation of the regulation. The C&R bass regs prohibit tournaments during this time of year and do use the word "target", but I would think that might be hard to enforce, because one could always claim the catch was an incidental. I guess that language could be in there to prevent anglers from setting up and targeting bass on spawning beds.

IANAL, YMMV, so seek independent counsel before accepting the advice of the Interwebz :)

Back