Swatara Creek query

JG63

JG63

All,

I know further down is pretty good for WW/CW species but anyone know of fishing prospects upstream from Lickdale, Monroe Valley (Swatara Gap) area? I probed some today and did not see any biomass at all except for one forlorn caddis. Is mine drainage an issue up there? Saw NO life under the rocks, or minnows, or fallfish, or anything. Is it just my bad luck or what?

There’s AMD issues in the extreme headwaters of the Swatara, but there are remediation systems in place that seem to be helping. I’ve caught native Brookies out of the Swatara’s main stem, pretty far up. Not many, but they’re there.

The stretch you’re talking about is still very much a warm water stream and has Smallies, Rock Bass, various species of Sunfish, Fallfish, and even a few Chain Pickeral. That far downstream I don’t think the AMD is an issue any more given the variety of species present. Lickdale up to the 81 bridges is one of my favorite stretches. It’s still a little cold water temp wise for most of these species right now. I fished that area once this year and caught two large (16”+) Fallfish, but no Smallies or panfish yet. Give it a try in another month or so when the water is a little warmer. Shoot me a PM sometime and I’ll meet up with ya.

The floods destroyed the remediations. But I fish the Swatty from Lickdale to Tremont. Let me know if you guys wanna hook up.

I'm new to fly fishing and would love to find a good place not far from me for WW species like smallies. Any good advice on where to go as a newbie to park and fish, what flies to use? etc. Thanks!

Lots of good access around Hummelstown...nature trail that runs along the creek there. Parking off of Duke St. or off Main St. on the west end of town.

Flies: Woolly Buggers, Clousers, Poppers is all you'll need.

Sounds great, thanks for the info, I'll definitely check that area out. Do you find it pretty good fishing all summer long?

Generally yes. The Smallies (especially the larger ones) can be in a post spawn funk for a while in June, but July/August/first half of September are consistently pretty good usually. If you're not turning up any Smallies, downsize your fly a bit...the Fallfish, Rock Bass, and Redbreasts will almost always cooperate.

Cool thanks, I'll probably be taking a trip there sometime this week or during the upcoming weekend!

Nice, let us know how you do.

Will do for sure!! :-D

Finally got out there in Hummelstown and did pretty well! Caught seven fish in about an hour on a Clouser. I caught four fallfish and three of another type of fish, two were about six inches and the other about twelve. I'm not great on knowing all my fish. They had no distinct markings. They were brown, but no real spots or stripes, so didn't look like rock bass or smallie at all to me. Any thoughts on these?

Nice! Knowing the area and the species in it your mystery fish were probably Smallies. They don't always have stripes or patterns and sometimes are just a more solid olive/brown color, especially when they're smaller. Glad you got into em'!

Yep, that's exactly what they were, more solid brown/olive. Makes sense. The fallfish put up a nice little fight too. I will definitely be making trips back there, had a blast! Thanks again!

Back