SW PA Mini-Jam on the Yough

albatross

albatross

I fished with JackM and RyanH Saturday evening July 7 and had the pleasure of meeting OhioOutdoorsman and his Father midafternoon the same day. With a shortage of cold water in the western part of the state, I'll bet we weren't the only board members on the Yough Saturday. Anyone else there?

We had a few rising trout and Jack briefly connected with one. Other than that we caught a few smallies. Ohio told me he had caught 2 trout in the morning.

Was nice meeting you. It was only one that morning, two on Meadow Run the day before. Caught 2 more after we met within about 15 minutes of each other, about 4:30. Lost one of them, a very nice brown, at the net that charged hard downstream and picked up some grass along the way. Got blanked this morning but introduced dad to flyfishing......he was getting fustrated with the grass using gear.....he didn't catch anything all weekend.

We fished about a half mile below ramcat sat evening.....good looking water but no fish.....

I have to ask, I saw a lot of guys using fly gear fishing tightlined downstream. My dad said that they were fishing tailhooked minnows and were cleaning house saturday afternoon. He was watching people fish as much as fishing. Had never seen this before. Is this tecnique ever tried with streamers? I seemed to be the only one fishing upstream, at least at the confluence.

That water is cold!

I fished there friday - met 2 other groups of guys from Ohio - thought maybe it was you, Ohiooutdoors, but not. It was kinda of an Ohio jam there this weekend I guess.
You're right about the water being cold - I read 46 degrees at 3 pm friday afternoon.
I did allright - caught 10 - a few on sulpher, a few on terrestials, and rest on BWO's in evening.
I had planned on biking into the trophy area about 5pm, but it was still kinda murky below the casselman river - half of the river on that side anyway. So, I just stayed in the clear water around confluence.
I was told they stocked it again on thursday, the 5th. That explains the somewhat crowded condition

Dryfly -

My dad was late, so we only had a chance to fish close to camp on friday. Glad you had some success. A 10 fish day was definitely way above average on saturday from what I saw. I never got a temp reading above 47 the whole weekend at the confluence.

My grandfather was a great outdoorsman. He had several bamboo rods which eventually landed in my lap. I barely remember him as I was 10 when he died in 1956. The point is that my dad claimed that he (grandpop) loved to fish minnows with a fly rod. He said he tailhooked them. I also own hundreds of flies he tied back in the day, but dad was insistent that minnows on a fly rods was something he loved to do. Never done it or seen anyone do it. Your dad's observation brought back that memory.

Back