SW PA Fishing & camping areas

H

Huffy

Hello All,
New to the site and to the area-moved from CT. Looking for areas to fly fish/camp in the fall and have no idea where to start. Looking for some not as crowded areas where I can enjoy the solitude and scenery - hope to get away from the crowds. Appreciate the assist.

I saw that area on the map as an interesting area to explore. I imagine both brookies and browns.

Yeah. Generally more Brookies than Browns up there. A few exceptions, but generally the wild fish are Brookies.

Confluence PA - camping below the dam, you could fish a half dozen different waters from here.

Laurel Hill State Park- camping and fishing with several different waters

Linn Run State Park/Forbes State Forest - camping cabins

Nesshannock, Slippery Rock Creek, Lake Arthur north of Pittsburgh

I've camped at the campground at Ohiopyle State Park and it was a very nice campground. I was there in late fall and there were few people camping there. During spring and summer it's probably much busier.

Confluence PA - camping below the dam, you could fish a half dozen different waters from here.

Thanks-Is the fishery north of Pittsburgh very different than around Laurel highlands.

It’s different. Probably more stocked fish , not in a mountain setting.

also if your looking for a fly shop in western pa , RISEN fly shop in Beaver pa ... great people and great info

Thanks-Is the fishery north of Pittsburgh very different than around Laurel highlands.

Thinking about heading to Laurel area - what wt and size rod do you recommend for these smaller creeks?

Thinking about heading to Laurel area - what wt and size rod do you recommend for these smaller creeks?
Most times I use a 4wt. - either a 7 foot or a 9 foot depending on what and where I am fishing.

Back