Susquehanna River of Dreams Susan Q Stranahan

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

Amazing book and I highly recommend it to anyone.

The book so much doesn't deal with fishing as it does with the entire historical account of how the Susquehanna shaped and formed our country. It was amazing to me the amount of through info she collected and presented in a very informative tone like a encyclopedia but also in a folksy humorous tone.

I turned each page in amazement of the way our majestic river helped form us from colonies into the country we are today. I also turned each page in disgust of the way our local, state and fed governments had so much greed they almost destroyed the river forever, multiple times.

Status quo.....

Still I highly recommend this book and think anyone looking for a good read would enjoy this. I was lucky enough to aquire my copy for 1 dollar, would have paid much more.

I will have to check this out. Interesting that there is a book called "Juniata, River of Sorrows" by Dennis McIlnay a professor at St. Francis. His book too contains a lot about the history of the area surrounding the river in colonial times. Wonder if her title is meant to be similar to his.

Here's a second on this book.
I read it when if first came out and have returned to it many times. I'm interested in the logging era and this book covers this topic well. This book came out before the bass crash but she covers pollution and this book came at the time (1990s) when the river was bouncing back from earlier levels of pollution but also at a time of enhanced concern for the Chesapeake Bay and it's connection to PA agriculture.
Definitely a good read.

The book Juniata - River of Sorrows is also a favorite of mine as I'm also fascinated with the French and Indian War period (and love bass fishing on the J). I wrote a review of this book somewhere back on the PAFF forums some years ago when it came out.

I also love this book. I received it as a gift awhile back. It's where I got my name - Raftman. I loved reading the stories about the raft men who used the raftmen's path along the Susquehanna to return to their homes after shooting logs down into the Chesapeake.

Back