Susquehanna River Not Good

foxtrapper1972

foxtrapper1972

Recent fishing reports have me thinking about the Susquehanna and Juniata bass fishing. Apparently recent PAFC surveys show smallmouth are doing better. Not sure what that really means in terms of fishing but I guess we will have to see. My experiences fishing the river have been very poor but I don't bother going very much. Here is an older article on the river. Clouser mentions that it is not only smallmouth that are declining but other species as well.
This sums up the situation.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/news/susquehannas-lost-smallmouth-fishery/

Have no idea what the Susquehanna is fishing like as far as Bass go. I do know I can catch bass on the Juniata till my arm feels like it's gonna fall off from Point Access down to just shy of Mt. Union. I know a handful of others that catch plenty of Catfish, Walleye. And Striper at the mouth of the Susq. The Bass'n does seem down although I still know guys that hit um pretty good yet in the rocks off of Falmouth.

Most of us have known about the problems on the Susque since at least 2005.

The PFBC has acknowledged that there are serious problems on the Susque. They aren't denying it.

I haven't heard anyone, including anyone on paflyfish, dispute that there are problems on the Susque.

Here are the many discussions on PAFF concerning SMB in the lower Susky.

In addition, here is info from the PFBC site with some very informative articles covering the many facets of the situation.

The Juniata at my place upriver from Lewistown still seems quite healthy with plenty of YOY bass and a good mix of size among the SMB. I'm guessing that the lack of any sizeable population upriver from me makes a big difference.

I would imagine, and this is my uneducated guess, that areas upstream on say the Juniata are far enough upstream of the toxic soup that is plaguing the downstream reaches of the 'hanna. Is it me, or did the 'hanna show signs of going down hill in the mid-90s? So it took 10 years for the powers to be to recognize and admit. So I figure in the next year or so, we will get a higher authority to admit. 20 years to get critical action seems about right to me.

Yes. I see it has been discussed before. I'll take a look at all the discussions. Thanks.

It does seem that the lower end of rivers are where most problems are happening. The areas I used to fish on Juniata were below Thompsontown and on the Susquehanna mostly below Falmouth. The Conestoga River may have a few fish in the upper parts but toward the mouth it is pretty bad. Up until about 5 years ago the Conestoga was fishing pretty well and we caught them on top water stuff at this time of year. I know guys that fish walleye from shore on the Susquehanna and they would normally pick up a few bass but this year caught none.

Fished the Delaware twice in the last 3 weeks and caught only a few S.M's. The thing I also noticed was I didn't see a single crayfish. I'm not sure if it's me or not, but the person fishing with me is a very good WW guy, and he didn't catch much either.

Does anyone know how smallmouth populations are faring in western PA in recent years/decades?

PFBC is more like the doctor here. They can diagnose the patient (the river) and they can tell them what medicine is needed (less upstream pollution) but they can't cure them. DEP needs to be more involved in cracking down on the pollutants, but they've been notoriously lax. The EPA has been largely prevented from truly enforcing the 1972 Clean Water Act by those who rail against government regulation.

Ultimately we are to blame, as we could change this by electing politicians who support strong enforcement of environmental regulation.

I don't fish the yough as much as I used and even then it was only 6 trips or so for SM..... I fished the yough Sunday and caught SM in each big hole. It's difficult on my knees to wade so my sample size is low. I never do well on top there so it's always some sort of weighted bugger type.

Although I catch just as many polluted waters around here- Chartiers can be good in spots.

Yes I think it will require enforcement/change in laws for sure. This is one of those things where nature has been overwhelmed and can't repair without help.
Reading the back and forth exchanges between govt agencies it seems like NOTHING is being done to move forward on this mess.
When it comes to the rivers and wildlife I am all for regulations.

On a side note--was wading some pools along river above Marietta and developed an infection. Foot swelled up...very painful and required antibiotics. Doctor said she sees quite a few cases in people who wade and swim in Susquehanna.

From York Haven Dam (Falmouth) downstream to the tail-race of Safe Harbor Dam (the stretch between most of Lancaster and York Counties) last October's adult SMB electrofishing electrofishing indices for certain size groups appeared to have substantially recovered to past levels, which was reason for encouragement and a reason for anglers to be fishing. Whether or not the apparent recovery of these size groups will last will be revealed this fall and in the future through continued annual sampling.

Three sites were sampled (Accomac, Turkey Hill, Pequea), all of which have been monitored nearly annually for years. The abundance index (electrofishing catch per hour) for bass 12 inches long and longer was 17 per hr. and was the second best value recorded for this size group in this stretch since 1990. The best was 18 per hr in 1999. Likewise, the abundance index for bass 15 inches long and longer was 7 per hr. This was also the second best value recorded since 1990. The best was 8 per hr in 2011. The total catch (all SMB handled regardless of length) was still lower than desired, but was improving. Obviously, the shortfall is in the size group that ranges from 4 to 11 inches. I like to see total catches of 50-60 per hour, but the 2013 total catch was in the low 40's.

My general impression this year around lower Susky is more Smallies, but not a lot more. Overall less fish including cats. Bait fishing with the kids and ff myself. Tons of baitfish. That may be part of the fishing problem.

Hit a few good cat areas hard with the kids and had very little to show for it.

Haven't seen any skin lesion's this year.

Thanks Mike. Interesting. Our usual spots produced little this past spring and we floated an area last month below Wrightsville that usually is okay and caught nothing in 4 hours. Now I will be encouraged to get out the boat again and do my own survey. Wondering if you have any info on Rock Bass or Sunfish populations? Area directly below Holtwood Dam used to be loaded and now I find none. Crayfish populations are also lower than in past. Son caught some smaller fish on Lancaster side that did have lesions recently.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
Crayfish populations are also lower than in past.

Do you have a link to a scientific study that indicates this, or is this just personal observation?

My personal observation is that crayfish populations are very high in the Susky in the Harrisburg area.

Correction to total catch value in #13 above: Total catch per hour of electrofishing in 2013 was 48 per hr., not low 40's as reported above.

Mike,
As always, we're eager to see survey results of SMBs.

Although adult bass seem to be holding their own and/or showing some improvement...in my opinion, we still need a good, above average YOY in that area of the river.

Like last year, I fear that high water in late spring and early summer may be a problem again this year, although river levels may have been somewhat more stable this year. In particular, if other waterways in the Mid Atlantic show good YOY and the lower Susky does not correlate with this, I think it reveals continued trouble.

Whatever the case, here's wishing for a good 2014 YOY in the lower Susky (fingers crossed).

This may help (and save some writing by Mike).

Below are some comments written by Mike from another site concerning this spring's SMB spawn on the Skuke / Delaware and Susky Rivers:

High mid to late spring flows usually result in limited SMB reproductive success. It has not been a good SMB YOY year in the Schuylkill, Delaware, or lower Susquehanna, although in an unusual occurrence, contributions from tributaries, where the flows apparently had less of an impact, have boosted the river YOY indices at some specific locations. Examples: Delaware River at Point Pleasant (Tohickon Ck confluence), Susquehanna River at Pequea (Pequea Ck confluence). There is no doubt that tributaries contribute to river populations, but the unusual condition this year is that the contributions are so obvious based on the abundance or sizes of the fish in and near the tribs. The timing of the high flows in the tribs must have been out of phase with those in the rivers just enough to allow for good reproduction and/or the successful part of the spawning period in the tribs was delayed in comparison to the rivers. This clearly was true in the Pequea Ck case as the fingerlings were much smaller than those produced in the Susquehanna R as seen at the time of the YOY surveys in both.

More details on the Skuke surveys:
The smallmouth bass YOY (young-of-year) index per 50 meter site was 1.8 fingerlings per 50 meters and was below the Schuylkill River 3.8 fingerling average. Largemouth bass fingerlings were present in many of the sites as well, but in low numbers. The low numbers of LMB are typical. The sampling site at Valley Forge continues to be the worst site for SMB fingerlings and it is centrally located in the reach of river that has shown a substantial decline in adult bass abundance due to habitat degradation. Bridgeport, on the other hand, continues to be fairly good. In all, ten shoreline sampling stations comprised of six 50 meter sampling sites each were electrofished from Port Clinton downstream to Bridgeport. Sites are variously described as Port Clinton, Berne, Cross Keys, River Rd, Fritz Island, Union Twsp Park, Towpath Park, Spring City, Valley Forge, and Bridgeport.

A silver lining for SMB anglers:
When YOY numbers decline for a number of years the decline in reproduction over time eventually affects the abundance of bass. The reduced numbers of bass, if reduced enough, survive better and grow much faster. This has been documented by research on SMB's in the Susquehanna done by the PFBC. SMB's are now growing at a rate that has accelerated by one year, meaning that if they formerly hit 15 inches in 4-5 years, they are now hitting it in 3-4 years.

Fishidiot- Just my personal observations on the crayfish. And I was speaking here of the area directly below Holtwood to clarify. That section was amazing for Rock Bass and Smallmouth and held loads of crayfish. You go there now and see very few crays and no bass. The pools near shore had many Green Sunfish. None now.

Back