Susquehanna Advice

F

Fishwagen

Planning to take the boat out on the Susky this weekend...Sunday most likely and need some advice.

New boat...14' Kohler RMT Skiff. I plan to put in at one of the launches off 11/15 near Montgomery Ferry/Liverpool. What I would like to do is fish up and down stream of the launch and just return to the same launch to avoid taking two vehicles. The boat obviously has oars but I also have a Minn Kota trolling motor on the stern w 30 lbs of thrust.

The cfm at Harrisburg around 12,000 and 10,000 up at Sunbury.

Is that gonna be enough to get me back to the launch? I have used the boat and motor in much slower flows on the Conodoguinet and Juniata with no problems, but this is the first time to the Susquehanna.

Figured I would ask anyone here with a little knowledge of that area before I go.

Thanks

I'd go up until she starts to poop out on ya. Float back down to launch ramp. Doing it the other way may end up in dragging the boat 2 miles against current back to ramp.

Thanks Kray...not really worried about it dying on me, just concerned it will have enough thrust to go against the current in the first place. I'm still learning about the rivers and the cfm's...I think I will be ok. But rather be safe than sorry.

I have drug a boat or two upstream before...first 100 feet trick you into thinking it might not be that bad. Then you realize how screwed you really are.

Agree with Kray.

I've paddled my canoe and kayak upriver in that area but only for short distances (half mile or less) so an electric motor should be fine if you're not trying to go too far. It's a complicated river with a lot of rocks and shallow areas.

If you want shuttled from duncannon to ft hunter, let me know. I'm just hanging at home. Hell, maybe I'll even toss my toon in and float with ya. That float takes 5-6 hours.

Forecast is for 5-7 mph breeze upriver. Saturday is less than 5% chance of rain. Sunday is same wind but 40-50% chance of rain showers.

As of now I'm fixing to fish that area of the Susquehanna on Sunday. I'll be wading looking for bass, hopefully carp, or even catfish.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I just paid attention to the wether this morning...kids keeping me busy as alway. Go figure w all the bluebird days we have been having this summer. Rain seems to be more likely in the afternoon so I think it will be ok. Plus the fish don't care if we get wet..me neither actually. I have had some of my best days in rainy conditions.

As of now I am going to put in at the really nice launch near Montgomery Ferry on the west side of the river and go up as suggested and float down and repeat as necessary. The river is so big I probably won't get bored just staying around the launch give or take.

I'm still open to other suggestions since you guys probably know better than me.

Kray...if your up for it, please join us. I would love to finally hook up with a few of you guys and wet a line. Have been trying to make it to some of the "Jams" but always seem to have other commitments. Or Brookie...if your on foot, we can stop by and at least shuttle in some refreshments.

LMK what ya think and thanks again for taking the time to respond.

I had a trolling motor but never used it so I sold it. Rowing pontoon upriver is a 'no go' for me. Exhaustive to go 100 yards against current.

If you want to pull that float I mentioned in the next couple of weeks, just shoot me a PM. Flows should be good fine / a bit high the remainder of the year.

krayfish2 wrote:
Rowing pontoon upriver is a 'no go' for me. Exhaustive to go 100 yards against current.

Just like a kayak, canoe, etc... It's like the row/paddle from hell!

Make yourself a drift chain. Row up throw the drift chain out and tye it to the bow of the boat. It slows the drift of the boat and also makes it track better.

Back