Susky Smallmouth Advice

D

Dwright

This hasn't happened before. My daughter arrived from college for the holiday weekend and asked if we could go fishing together. She is writing a paper on the smallmouth bass of the Susquehanna and wants to see them first hand. I've never targeted smallmouth before as trout has been my focus to this point. This afternoon I've been reading up on fly selection and tactics.

I plan on shore fishing/wading and was hoping to get some advice on access points that may prove successful. Please don't give away your "sweet spots'", that's not my intent. I'd just like to have a successful trip with my daughter. If you don't want to post, please send me a PM. Thanks.

There's a lot of discussion about the SMB situation here on this forum with links to PFBC YOY data etc. If she hasn't already done so, she should check the PFBC website as well, as there are dozens of docs about the controversy regarding a declaration of impairment etc.

Anyway, to catch a bass, try shore fishing around some of the public access sites or boat ramps. The river is a bit on the high side right now and cloudy but this usually puts bass close to shore. Try fishing a big black Clouser Minnow low and slow under a strike indicator. Try and find a slow, shoreline eddy as this is where bass are this time of year. These spots are not hard to find - they don't all hold fish, however, if you get a SMB, there are probably others in the same pool.

The river is over 5' right now so water will be up to the vegetation along the banks in most spots. Most of the river shoreline is muddy and slippery - leave the felt soles at home unless you know you will be wading.

If you're unaccustomed to FFing for bass and would just like to catch some fish with your daughter, you might find that spin gear allows you to cover more water when wading or fishing from shore. A dark colored tube lure with some chartreuse mixed in is a popular go-to lure this time of year.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like to discuss further.

Try the access point at west Fairview. +1 on the dark Clouser or lead eye bugger low and slow. Smallies will thump it hard enoug to hook themselves. Sometimes white or yellow behind bridge pilings produce well too.

Back