Susky Bass

That is a nice bottom lip that fish has . Probably really good at sucking up crawfish

Hope it stays rare.

I'm not really sure why this is such a story. Any living organism can have bad cell mutations and therefore a cancer. Now if this becomes something that is quite common then there are definitely some environmental factors at play.

jifigz wrote:
I'm not really sure why this is such a story. Any living organism can have bad cell mutations and therefore a cancer. Now if this becomes something that is quite common then there are definitely some environmental factors at play.

Well it isn't the first SMB found in the Susky in recent years to have a strange growths or lesions on it now is it? I think that is certainly part of the reason it's a story. As well as the mere fact that it's a popular gamefish that was caught and had a nasty growth that turns out to be a rare cancer.

This story has been blown way out of proportion in my opinion.

A single fish was found with a rare condition. The state has had serious fish problems such as VHS or red-spot disease as well as issues with PCBs etc. and these stories don't get the media attention that this single fish has received.

But it's the "C" word!

I have a friend who guides the Susqy that pulled 2 bass with abnormal growths. This just happens to be the first case identified as cancer.
And a rare cancer at that. Does it mean the river is in bad shape, probably not, but add this to all the other factors we're seeing and now it's becoming a story.
Face it people don't care about it if it's not in the news, maybe some publicity will get the average Joe and Sally concerned enough to trickle up the government chain.

Back