Survivors

J

JeffP

I love heading out on a fall day when the water is low and look for survivors from the summer heat! I was shocked to see a lot of trout made it through the summer. There were even risers. I only caught 1 but I actually had my spinning rod out because I wanted to cover some water. The only trout I caught was a skinny rainbow but got a lot of follows and some were nice! The fly they seemed interest in was a fairly large but skinny white mayfly. Does anyone know what fly that might be?

Survivors, the last of a chain. Yes . the fly, looks like lt. Cahill, well , Cahill does come and go. A Big Boy, in fly fishing, Poul Jorgensen, the fly with the dressed tail. Hackle pulled back and lacqured with some tail. Yeah bro, take a hackle pull it backwards a with some finger polish keep it back, we call this the STROKE OF LUCK, extended body done a little diff! Caught 100's on this style!

My Pal is gone, get his book, if you can! Catskill Flytyers, has it, i am sure as my friend Hung Out with the skins!

How about that burn, Fox, Marinaro, Jorgensen burn! What a blister on your finger, the fly tying finger. Dubbing at the best! Fly burn blasters of the past! Let me tell it again, East Coast, not the fools west, from east. Fools went west, could not do it here!

Happy they are gone!

Maxima12

Movement. I caught a few browns the other day in water that I temped at 87 degrees F a few weeks ago while smallie fishing.

People think I'm crazy when I tell them where I caught trout because they can't wrap their head around the fact that trout move incredible distances. "but it gets too hot for trout". Hahaha

As for the flies, straggler Ephoron maybe? We're not that far out of timeframe and with this bizarre year weather wise, maybe that population is emerging late?

I was fishing lower Middle Creek and it certainly has some springs and I did catch a few native browns in the spring. But if those stockers made it through this brutal summer I'm impressed. A young Amish boy I talked to said he caught an 18 inch rainbow in August. My son's friend texted me a picture of a beautiful 15 inch brown he caught in the middle of the July heat wave. When my son asked where he caught it I though he would say out west. Turns out, he caught it in Middle Creek. I would love the picture but it was on instagram. I really did mean to take some temps this summer, especially around the spring but never got to it. I figured it would be a disaster and was not a typical enough summer. Does seem late for the white fly but maybe.

I caught a very nice stocked rainbow trout on Saturday. I don't care that it was stocked. I had fun. I have a tape measure and hemostats on a zinger in my net. I can take a quick measurement while the trout is in the net in the water.

19" and it took some line off of the reel and jumped 4 times, and I was using a 3X leader. This trout was in the water for a while since its initial stocking, but has acclimated to its new environment.

I released it to survive, and hopefully, through the winter.

I'm likely to get bashed but why would you be attempting to catch a trout now? During a severe drought with warm water temps. I just don't get it. I know its legal but...

I'm likely to get bashed but why would you be attempting to catch a trout now? During a severe drought with warm water temps. I just don't get it. I know its legal but.

Water temps are not a problem in mist watersheds right now. It’s true you shouldn’t fish for trout in drought condition as the trout are already stressed but he’s fishing in the southeast where we have been more fortunate than the rest of the state will rainfall.

Silver fox, good post. People have no clue lol. Trout move, a lot, and can actually handle warm water, a lot!!????

I know Lancaster County has done better than most. Middle Creek had plenty of water in it in the downstream sections. I should have gotten pictures. And we've had nights in the 30s and daytime temps in the lower 70s.

Canoe Tripper check your PM. Also for clarification the natives were caught in the spring.

I caught that trout in the western Poconos in the Tobyhanna Creek.

Brown71 wrote:
Silver fox, good post. People have no clue lol. Trout move, a lot, and can actually handle warm water, a lot!!????

They didn't survive in that water. They went somewhere to ride out the temps/low water and now that the river is 55 they're back for the winter. I have a few ideas on where they went but I didn't go harass them in their refuge to find out.

I was in a rut for a long time. I figured every time I fished that I needed to hit the water I knew was productive. So I tended to fish the same places all the time. Frankly, it got boring. So I started thinking outside the box and looking for trout in places that they shouldn't be, but I knew they could be.

That has been extremely fun. You don't get into the numbers, but trying to figure out where the fish are going to be at any given point in time is far more entertaining than going and fishing stuff you know holds them year-round.

This all speaks to the general misconception I always hear people say. Things like; "Wild trout can't survive in that stream because it gets too warm.". So people think by fall there's no chance a trout could be there because the water was 90 degrees in the heat of summer. If you find a winter hold, they'll be there regardless of what the temp was in August.

It also illustrates the importance of "marginal water" to wild migratory fish. This chub/carp water is 55 now and has awesome habitat. So it holds everything from wild browns to brook trout.

It's extremely interesting seeing how these places function. You can fish it one day and swear there's not a single fish there only to come back the next day and be blown away by what you find.

Silver, good post again. And yea so true, we fish several locales like what your describing. These marginal waters tend to have some real big fish too because of the lack of effort put toward them,

Happy fishing!!!!

Temperature triggers movement. I believe the angle of the sun is a trigger as well. Here in Florida the "magic Temperature" is 72 degrees. Spring or fall it triggers fish runs that are amazing. Right now the King fish and mackerel along with gag grouper are on the move. If the water temperature stays at or near 72 degrees fish will hang around till Christmas and beyond
Unfortunately my boat is "under the weather". I hope to have it back in the Gulf soon. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
GG

Back